Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater

Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater 29 May 2009 10:54 #31627

Okay, okay, I'm a n00b, but I've failed to find an answer to my question, so please be gentle with the scorning if this question has already been answered all over the place, or if it's a stupid question (yes, there ARE stupid questions) :P

I'm interested in starting a small repertory/indie/themed theater. I would only be showing classics/cult movies and charging minimally. My question is, what kind of costs to I have to cough up to show these films? How does all that work? There are theaters in my city that occasionally have novelty film screenings, and the probably don't pay anything for the event, but if my theater were to do only that, I would want to have all my ducks in a row. Please help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater 29 May 2009 12:34 #31628

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
If you're asking about film rentals the distributors will charge you either a flat rate or a percentage of the boxoffice gross. Flat rate is usually around $250 for a week. Percentage is usually about 35%. Back in '06 I rented "Singing In The Rain" from WB (which handles MGM Product) for $250. for the week. If you're going to run classics be sure you have a two projector change-over booth. The distributors don't want you splicing their best prints for a platter. If you use a platter system you're likely to get junk prints. Reel two of "Rain" for me was badly scratched (I had a platter system).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater 29 May 2009 13:52 #31630

How about just showing the DVD on a digital projector?? Is this an awful idea?

Re:Exhibition Costs for Repertory Theater 29 May 2009 16:43 #31631

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
It could be done. The size of your house would determine the type of equipment you would have to buy. The home type digital projectors are really not suitable for theatre use. Your would still have to work with the distributors to obtain a public performance license and you'd still have to pay the rental fee even if you owned the DVD.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 29 May 2009 16:45 by revrobor.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction