Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Recommended distance between small theaters
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recommended distance between small theaters

Recommended distance between small theaters 22 May 2009 17:15 #31583

• Gina222
  • Fresh Boarder
If anyone can please accurately provide any relative info it would be greatly appreciated.

What is the recommended distance (in miles) that should be placed between small, single-screen theaters?

The proposed theater is located in a very small town with a population of approx. 1,000. The 3 closest theaters, which are similar in size, are about 30-60 miles away.

Is it something like a 15 mile radius?

Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Recommended distance between small theaters 22 May 2009 17:29 #31584

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
What you book is more important than the distance between the theatres. If the theatres you mentioned are single screen there is more than enough product for you all. What you charge at the BO and concessions is also an important draw. I managed a single screen in NE Iowa that was 30 miles from a triplex that ran films on the break. But I packed my house when I ran the films (usually about 6 weeks after the break) because I charged only .99 cents admission and concession prices ranged from .25 cents to $3.50. People would wait until I got the films to come and see them rather than drive the 30 miles because I offered the same films with all the bells and whistles at less money. You might want to survey your community and see what type of films ALL your residents want to see. In other words is there a desire for classics, foreign, romance, action, family friendly or what. Most people don't want to drive the 30 miles except the very few who have to be among the first to see a film. Good luck.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Recommended distance between small theaters 23 May 2009 17:49 #31588

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Gina,

I don't think you will get a satisfying answer to your question from anybody.
Reason being that the distance between theaters depends on the market size and as Bob said on the films you want to show. So if you want people to tell you if a single screen might be viable in your location, you have to supply more information. What's your population in a 5 miles , 10 miles and 15 miles radius. How far is the next bigger town away and what kind of theater do they have there? What movies do you plan to show?
Good luck,
Jay

Re:Recommended distance between small theaters 25 May 2009 19:45 #31603

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Distance you have is fine. A town of 1000 is very small as a population base.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction