• Page:

TOPIC: Swine Flu

Swine Flu 30 Apr 2009 11:43 #31470

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I resent having a flu named after me. :laugh:

Here's what we are doing.

Please start planning for Swine Flu epidemic.

It may impact staff, owners, managers, and customers. Please prepare by doing the following.

1. Talk to staff. Give them heads up.
2. No panic: but prepare.
3. What if key people are sick? Prepare managers and owners to be replaced. Prepare to replace others.
4. In advance: Make sure that no one comes to work with any symptoms of flu.
5. Institute repeated hand washing immediately.
6. Use hand sanitizer for people handling cash. Use repeatedly.
7. In Mexico they have closed movie theatres: this is a possibility and to be considered.
8. In worst case scenarios all public gathering places will be closed: includes restaurants.
9. if anyone does get sick immediately report to health officials.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. / Mike

Here's a link to locales www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/27/u...-update-graphic.html
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Swine Flu 01 May 2009 16:38 #31476

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I am in NY were its all happening there are no masks or any panic. The theatres are packed, the buses are packed the ball fields are packed. Life is goign on all the people that are getting the flu(A few friends have it) are being treated with medication and getting better. My daughters freinds go to St francis were it all started and there all okay. So everything is fine so no need to panic.
I will keep you posted!

Re:Swine Flu 02 May 2009 12:58 #31477

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Someone around here made a comment about the numbers of people killed, comparing them to the size of the general population. While I thought at the time that it was maybe a bit insensitive, a news story I saw last night got me thinking (happens, sometimes).

The story says that we lose up to 30,000 people per year to various forms of the common flu. Every year, the medical community comes up with their best guess as to what the next season's mutation will be, and makes that year's vaccine, based on that guess. It's right more often than not... but it has been "not" before.

Are we being stirred up over this Swine Flu because we don't even have a guess... or is it something else?

Current stories are suggesting that Swine Flu may turn out to be less of a problem than the normal versions we deal with. While I wouldn't necessarily be less complacent about the situation, based on that, the lack of really good information does make you wonder.
Last Edit: 02 May 2009 13:03 by rodeojack.

Re:Swine Flu 02 May 2009 15:42 #31478

• Mike
  • Administrator
The real flu is no joke. This might not be "the big one" like 1918-1920 which killed 20-100 million people and infected 50% of everyone on the planet but experts all say: it's not if, it's when the next one comes. So they watch these things like a hawk. No cause for panic yet but with 500,000 people on planes every day you can bet the movie Outbreak just scratches the surface of the real deal. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu Serious people like the WHO and everyone whose job it is to prepare for problems are correct to stay on top.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Swine Flu 05 May 2009 07:11 #31492

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
I have a student employee that just returned from a family vacation in Mexico. My first thoughts are to not allow her to return to work for an agreed upon waiting period. Thoughts?
Lance

Re:Swine Flu 05 May 2009 08:32 #31493

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe not a bad idea. Several Large multi national companies have banned travel to the US, Mexico and Canada for any non essential business.

Re:Swine Flu 10 May 2009 18:01 #31501

• Mike
  • Administrator
In agriculture you cannot work around animals for 48 hours after being out of the country. I'd say it's as least as important for people. And by the way: in case you think this baby is over: these things adapt and mutate on the fly so keep an eye out.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction