Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Single screen theater

Single screen theater 26 Apr 2009 14:57 #31437

• sanraquel
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay,

So I'm new to this website and I've read a lot of information about opening up a theater, but I have a few specific questions. There is a single screen theater in my town that is pretty run down. What's an estimate of what it might cost to fix it up. Also, I don't want to show first run movies, but I want to show movies that have been out of theaters for a while, maybe a few years. Where would I get the movies to show? For example, showing like Star Wars or old classic movies like Gone With the Wind, or John Wayne movies. Would a percentage of the ticket sales still go to a distributor? Oh, and I would like to make the tickets like 5 dollars.... I would like to have like a "Mommy and Me" hour during the days and give the patrons a chance to "vote" on which movie they would like to see next. Any advice and input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Single screen theater 26 Apr 2009 19:51 #31438

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hello sanraquel:

Welcome. What the cost would be depends on the condition of the theatre and what equipment you would have to replace. I would suggest you contact a general contractor in your area and ask for an estimate for restoring the building. Then contact a theatre supplier regarding projection, sound and concession equipment. I would encourage you to install used/reconditioned projection equipment. Most such equipment is very rugged and, if properly maintained, will last longer than you and I will and the reconditioned equipment will save you a bundle. You will find a list of equipment suppliers on this site. I would recommend www.iceco.com. Your films will come from the same distributors that everyone else gets their films from and you'll also find a list of those on this site. The older films will come from their classic divisions. Your idea to be different from the competition is a good one. But remember, it's going to take a lot of work and researching your community. You have not said so I don't know but unless you are a person of means it may be cost prohibitive for you. Good luck and keep us informed.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Single screen theater 27 Apr 2009 13:48 #31440

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Many of the films you are thinking of could be done from a DVD. So you would some type of digital projection. You do not need the masive ones mentioned here to produce a great picture from disk.

The bigger question is why would people come? Why show them old movies they can sit at home and see? You should servey some of the community and find out these answers. Are the others out there doing this? If not there may be a good reason they are not.

Re:Single screen theater 27 Apr 2009 17:30 #31443

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
dsschoenborn wrote:
Many of the films you are thinking of could be done from a DVD. So you would some type of digital projection. You do not need the masive ones mentioned here to produce a great picture from disk.

The bigger question is why would people come? Why show them old movies they can sit at home and see? You should servey some of the community and find out these answers. Are the others out there doing this? If not there may be a good reason they are not.

You do need a professional quality video projector for theatre operation and the "theatre experience" will trump "sit home and see" everytime. There are classic cinemas running successfully across the country.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction