Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How much will you pay the film distributors?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How much will you pay the film distributors?

How much will you pay the film distributors? 03 Apr 2009 21:20 #31313

I am completely new to the industry and I am working on an business plan for a class project. I am having trouble finding how much the theater must pay to rent the film from distributors?

I have read almost every post on this website and from what I have gathered it is a good rule of thumb that the distributor gets to keep 50% of the ticket sales for that particular movie.

My question is, is there any base price that the theater must pay in order to obtain the movie? Or is it just X% of ticket sales?

Thanks!
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How much will you pay the film distributors? 03 Apr 2009 22:55 #31315

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
The distributors I have dealt with charged a fixed percentage of the B.O. gross. They set the percentage after setting a certain amount for the "house allowance". A sub-run house usually pays 35 to 50%. However I have paid 90% if my gross goes over a certain amount. Some films for sub-run houses are available for a flat rate ( often about $250 for a week).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:How much will you pay the film distributors? 05 Apr 2009 16:28 #31324

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Often an older film is just at a flat rental rate: can vary from 150-350 and more if it's a rare print.

More and more for new films they offer weekly terms 70-60-50-35 Best weeks cvounting down to worst week. If your best week is week 4 you pay 70%. Like that ever happens. Or they offer it terms vs. aggregate aka agg. All weeks same %. Anywhere from 52-57 depends how hot and how sure they feel. Often: we play max of three weeks and the agg is always the best.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:How much will you pay the film distributors? 05 Apr 2009 21:49 #31326

Thanks so much!

Re:How much will you pay the film distributors? 06 Apr 2009 10:16 #31329

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Over time, a theater will have to settle on a range of percentages that allows the owner to bring in films his customers want to see AND make enough money to run his business.

That being said, I'll pay more for a picture that I think has above-average potential at my place.

I've never paid 90% for anything in my life... sheesh!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction