Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old!

Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 03 Apr 2009 09:49 #31311

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I knew vaguely the date was sneaking up on us but as I was at Showest I was kicking the date around in my head (98? 2000? 9-11?..... my thoughts run like that)and all of a sudden it hit me. We launched just prior to 1999 Showest! Ten freaking years. Happy anniversary to you all.

When I imagined what I felt was missing above all else I knew wanted to talk to people who could help me. I wanted to communicate, t0 ask for help and suggestions, I wanted to know was I doing something right or wrong? Was there a better way? A good booker? A supplier? WTF was the 90-10 and give it to me slow. I had heard of a Burger King site for ex emplyees and they were all talking to each other...why not exhibition? I had written Boxoffice and Film Journal asking them to add a forum to their sites which were bare bones (the internet just turned 20!) but nada.

When I was starting in the movie theatre owning world I used to pick up the phone and call theatre owners around the country, catch them on a slow moment, and talk. They were always the most decent, helpful, and kind people I ever met. There is something really different about our industry and the people who work it. I wanted to create something that would make it easier for the next guy thinking about buying a movie theatre and knowing nothing. I wanted a woman to be able to sit down and read and learn and experience community.

Ten years ago we fired it up. It could have been a voice in the wilderness and died a quiet death. But somehow it took root in you. You started talking to each other, asking questions, helping, and patiently administering to the bravest people, the newbies, curious and smitten, as we all are with a love of showing movies, running theatres, and being a part of the greatest story telling the world has ever seen. As Roger Ebert said recently: for about a hundred years billions of people have gone to the movies. Have there been a few misteps and rants?: you bet. I've made more than a few mistakes and I live with that. But did we achieve what we set out to do? More than we'll ever know.

At Showest I cannot tell you how common it was for me to hear from someone I was meeting for the first time, a drive in operator from Texas, a small town California theatre owner, an Aussie.... and over and over they tell me how much they have learned from all of you and how often they come here and never say a word and many have never even registered. It's amazing. I know of many people personally who started or bought theatres on the foundation that you provided. And maybe we helped some people avoid doing something they perhaps should not have.

I will not name any of you, you know who you are and even though some have been incredibly generous witheir knowledge, so many of you would rush to help and take time to offer a hand. Even if it was only once you helped. Without the people brave enough to ask for help and people kind enough to take time out of their workday and give that help this would never have worked.

Thank you to all of you for helping to create bigscreenbiz and make it the resource it is today. Along the way we've had many people come and go, John Pytlak and others made leaving a painful lesson for us, but they all left their advice and their dreams right here. Thank you again for helping to build this community. I'll see you at the movies. Ten years? No wonder I'm tired. :) :laugh: :woohoo: :ohmy: B)
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 03 Apr 2009 09:51 by Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 06 Apr 2009 11:33 #31332

• SMMORRIS
  • Senior Boarder
Mike, I am one of those people who registered 10 years ago and reads a lot, but doesn't talk so much. I wanted to say THANK YOU. It has been very valuable to me to be able to listen and learn. Keep up th good work. (I often wonder how you afford to do this)

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 06 Apr 2009 22:47 #31338

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
GREAT JOB.............10 MORE FOR YOUR GREAT SITE!

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 07 Apr 2009 00:11 #31340

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
What I appreciate about the site Mike is the maturity of those who post. Beats the heck outta that other site. Keep up the good work.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 07 Apr 2009 17:02 #31350

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I wonder how much a bigscreenbiz coffee mug will fetch on ebay?
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 07 Apr 2009 23:13 #31355

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the site, Mike. And thanks for hanging in so long. Ten years, WOW, how time flies. Congratulations!

Re:Bigscreenbiz.com is ten years old! 09 Apr 2009 12:00 #31360

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
how dow e afford? Geez... sounds just like my accountant and wife. It's been a labor of love but I do hope to make it more than a break even prop. We have a new push on with advertising as I hear from so many what they bought or who they hired etc. from this site. I'm not the world's busiest / hardest selling guy. Anyway: we have achieved what we set out to do. Thanks to all of you who made it happen.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction