Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Ehibitors Distributing Films
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ehibitors Distributing Films

Ehibitors Distributing Films 18 Apr 2000 11:32 #313

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
As independent exhibitors, we occasionally run into interesting situations. Fer instance, I find myself in the position of distributing a film – no this is not an advertisement (I’m not gonna talk about the film).
I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a conflict of interest or some law I’m choosing to forget regarding an exhibitor taking on the task of distributing a film.
This film I'm dealing wiht was produced by a professor on campus here (35mm) and we just did a two week run of it. It did very well and when I called a few other theater friends and asked if they’d could come up with a slot or two for it. They said yes. Suddenly, the production company is asking if I want more prints to distribute.
If anyone has any opinions if I’m looking at trouble if I keep this up, I’d very much appreciate you sharing it. I’d like to not sound like a total idiot when I go talk to the lawyer about this. Thanks. Paul
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ehibitors Distributing Films 18 Apr 2000 12:37 #314

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Railroad Square Theatre in Waterville Maine is also Shadow Distribution which regularly distributes small films. I think the plus side is that you can promote it like heck and have a low renatl. There is often local interest films that will draw well. I think as long as you steer clear of doubling on top of distribs who'll get ticked you're fine. I'll e RR/Shadow and ask them to remark.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Ehibitors Distributing Films 18 Apr 2000 12:58 #315

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Is the film copyrighted or not?

If it is, then you need permission from the copyright holder (usually in writing).

If the film is not copyrighted (i.e. in the public domain) then you could do whatever you wanted with it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction