Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO?

Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 06 Mar 2009 23:26 #31108

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
On Thursday March 5th Slumdog was the number one grossing film in the US.

Despite the fact that the picture just widened to nearly 3,000 runs Fox announced earlier this week that Slumdog would be released on video March 31st.

And where the hell is NATO - silent as usual. (Of course the real function of NATO is to act as peacemaker and keep the theatre owners in line so they do not riot when things like this happen - so dont expect them to do anything).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 06 Mar 2009 23:45 #31109

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Do we have any statistics that show early video release hurts boxoffice receipts or is it just a fear? It has been my observation that there are a growing number of people who prefer the "theatre experience" to sitting home a watching anything on the tube.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 07 Mar 2009 22:05 #31114

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I dont care if its on video.It use to drive me crazy....When it happens its rare and it does not change our gross...

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 08 Mar 2009 10:44 #31119

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
muviebuf wrote:
On Thursday March 5th Slumdog was the number one grossing film in the US.

Despite the fact that the picture just widened to nearly 3,000 runs Fox announced earlier this week that Slumdog would be released on video March 31st.

And where the hell is NATO - silent as usual. (Of course the real function of NATO is to act as peacemaker and keep the theatre owners in line so they do not riot when things like this happen - so dont expect them to do anything).

In an sudden and dynamic early morning raid, NATO troops stormed the Fox Searchlight executive headquarters, taking anyone seen in a suit as prisoner. Over the next several days, bitch-slapping and water-boarding techniques were executed, until the message was made clear not to release movies to DVD until theatre owners have given their consent.

In all seriousness, if you are displeased with the DVD window for Slumdog Millionaire, as a theatre owner, you should take your displeasure up with Fox Searchlight, and make sure you tell them they are flushing millions in boxoffice grosses down the toilet by announcing a DVD window while their movie is still performing well in theatres.

I am sure people at NATO have already made similar conversations. As an organization, NATO cannot tell their membership to "boycott" Fox Searchlight. They can, however, communicate with Fox Searchlight and other studios their overall displeasure. The action needs to come from individual owners on an individual basis.

Talking down about NATO is like a hobby for some people, as though NATO has some divine power to intercede in corporate business affairs, yet they "do nothing." NATO does everything it can to track window statistics and point out instances where they believe the windows are being poorly implemented.

NATO is not going to alienate studio executives by telling them how to manage their assets, as that would not serve the interests of its membership. What is it exactly that NATO is expected to do? Picket the studio? Take them off the Christmas card list?

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 08 Mar 2009 15:03 #31123

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Good answer Rick. You're right about many exhibitors doing nothing not even researching ALL available films or promoting what they book. They leave it up to "Hollywood" to make films, promote them and put them in their theatres. When exhibitors give "Hollywood" this much control over their theatres little wonder distributors pretty much do what they want.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 08 Mar 2009 15:04 by revrobor.

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 08 Mar 2009 16:09 #31124

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Is it just me - or has this board devolved into a combination 'personal blog' and 'bitch-slapping contest' ?

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 11 Mar 2009 11:30 #31152

Hey - that beats consistantly spouting NATO conspiracy theories.

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 11 Mar 2009 11:51 #31153

The only problems I've ever had with prints that are still in theatres when they come out on dvd/video, is that said print is in very poor quality after being run for X number of showings (not all projectionists can keep a clean print).

I'd much rather watch it on my big screen in Bluray, than to go to a theatre and sit through emultion/base scratches and a torn up soundtrack in mono/stereo.

:blink:
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2009 14:07 by Jenkinsbball.

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 17 Mar 2009 07:09 #31204

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
We have been trying to get slumdog since November..still haven't got it..I guess if its out on vid then we probably won't bother!

Re:Slumdog on Video March 31 - And Where is NATO? 17 Mar 2009 14:48 #31212

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Most distributors have divisions where you can book films that have been on DVD and VHS for years. So I don't think you'll have any trouble getting this one.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction