Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interesting reads from across the country

Interesting reads from across the country 11 Feb 2009 17:12 #30866

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I do not know if anyone would find these articles interesting but what the heck.

www.pressofatlanticcity.com/181/story/399755.html

CAPE MAY - If the Beach Theatre Foundation can't save the city's last movie house, then the organization may try to find another location for a theater.

Steve Jackson, the foundation president, said Tuesday that the goal is to save the Beach Theatre, which could be demolished as soon as April 1, but he noted the foundation's mission may not end there.

"Our charter is to make sure Cape May has a movie theater, so we're not going away. I'd go to the board to figure out alternatives," Jackson said.

Beach Theatre may have shown its last movie in November. Theater owner Frank Investments Inc. got its final local approvals in December to demolish it and build six housing units.

The foundation is still leasing it through March 31 but isn't playing movies because of the cost of heating the theater and problems with its electric service. It may never open again. The foundation leased the theater for 18 months for $150,000 with a $12 million option to buy the entire building, including retail space, by March 31.
While many residents counted the foundation out in December when Frank Investments got Cape May Planning Board approval for the six units, foundation treasurer Bernie Haas said that isn't the case. There are still options.

The main one is finding a developer with deep pockets before March 31 and coming up with $12 million. The developer would pledge to keep the movie theater but could make extra money by developing other parts of the complex, which includes 5,423 square feet of retail space.

There is something in the works, but Haas said it is premature to provide any details.

"I can't talk about it. It's safe to say we've been exploring different prospects. We came across a developer who has an architect involved. The timing is sensitive. We're still optimistic about getting a resolution before the end of March that will satisfy all parties," Haas said.

One idea is to gain more time by negotiating another six-month lease. This is not a good time to build housing units, so Frank Investments welcome a chance to delay its project. The $12 million offer also ends March 31, and this could allow negotiation about the price. The Beach Theatre complex is only assessed at about $3.5 million, far less than the $12 million asking price that dates to the time before problems developed in the local real estate market.

"On the 31st (of March), we lose that option to buy, but that number ($12 million) goes away," Haas said.

As for Frank Investments getting approvals to build housing units, Jackson said the foundation always knew it would do that. He said it made good business sense to pursue all options and maintain the value of the building.

"It doesn't preclude us from striking a deal with the Franks," Jackson said. "I'm a (glass) half-full guy, and I'm optimistic there is a deal for a developer and for us. We're going to developers. There coming to us," Jackson said.

The closing of Cape May Convention Hall across the street initially hurt the foundation's sales pitch. Now that the city has gotten approvals to build a new convention facility, this has perked interest. The foundation, though, is now fighting the same thing every potential project faces with a recession: sluggish real-estate sales and credit issues. Jackson said "developers still have to develop," but they are being more careful in what they do. He noted the foundation can offer less than $12 million after March 31.

"If we're prepared to make an offer, I would hope it would get a serious review by the Franks," Jackson said.

Jackson said the vision stays the same, which is to make the theater and the convention facility a destination in town. The theater would not just show movies but be the base for film festivals and other artistic productions.

The main message to residents is the effort did not die when the Planning Board approved housing units in December. The other message is there may be another location in town where a theater could be sited.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 11 Feb 2009 17:15 #30867

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20090210-NEWS-902100360

HAMPTON — After 29 years of bringing Hollywood to local residents, Hampton Cinema Six is set to close its doors for good after this weekend.

Owner John Tinios thanked the community for its support over the years. In an effort to do that, Tinios will be offering tickets at 1980 prices to all who visit the cinema from Feb. 13-15.

"Sunday (Feb. 15) will be our last day, and we wanted to say 'thank you' to all our loyal customers over the years," Tinios said. "It's been a great run, and we just want to say 'thank you,' Hampton."

Tinios announced he was closing the six-screen theater on Lafayette Road near his Galley Hatch restaurant, back in May to make room for a CVS Pharmacy and retail space.

At the time, Tinios said it was no longer economically feasible to continue to run the theater.

"It was really a tough decision for my family because we enjoy the movie theater, and it's a great part of the community," he said.

Tinios said the reason why he wanted to have 1980 ticket prices during the last weekend is because that is the year the theater first opened its doors.

Movies that will be shown during its final weekend include "Slumdog Millionaire," "New in Town" and "He's Just Not That Into You."

All concession items will be half off, and those who go to the Galley Hatch restaurant afterwards will receive a 10 percent discount on any food purchase.

"We just wanted to encourage everyone to come down one last time," Tinios said.

Tinios said its going to be bittersweet when the credits roll on the last film shown Sunday night.

"It is going to be sad day," he said. "My kids were raised in that movie theater. They saw all the Disney pictures there, along with a generation of kids."

Tinios said the movie industry has changed, making it difficult for independent theaters like his to survive.

"It's a different industry," Tinios said. "It's not same industry it once was.

"Hollywood has become very corporate," he said. "The big exhibitors and the film companies are tied together at the hip."

Movie makers have accelerated their release of new films now that other options exist like Pay-Per-View and Netflix. Currently, the shelf-life of a blockbuster is six weeks, which makes it impossible for small theaters with a limited number of screens to make money, he said.

Tinios said another "dagger" striking at independent movie theaters is that, by 2010, all theaters will be going digital. That would have cost him between $300,000 to $400,000 per screen.

Tinios said he will always be grateful of all the customers over the years, who preferred his theater over the big chains.

"I think people liked the personal attention they were getting from the independent versus a chain," he said. "It's going to be a sad weekend."

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 11 Feb 2009 23:44 #30869

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Tinios said another "dagger" striking at independent movie theaters is that, by 2010, all theaters will be going digital. That would have cost him between $300,000 to $400,000 per screen.

How long has this guy been in the theatre business... 29 years he says. I can't believe that there is anyone in this business that would have made the statement quoted above. Does he really not know what's going on in this industry, or is this the typical misquote by some newspaper reporter that is clueless as well.

If this guy knows something that we don't... we're all in BIG trouble when we can't get 35mm film next year. And at $300,000 to $400,000 per screen... I never heard a figure that high even when it was new about 10 years ago. Currently, I usually hear a figure in and around $75,000 to $80,000.

As both a theatre owner and a booker for other theatres, I'm naturally in contact with the studio people all the time. One of the questions that I ask several times each year is "when will I and my booking accounts need to be converted over to digital?" Not one of them as of yet has been able to answer that question. In fact the usual answer is "don't worry about it, as film will be around for many years to come".

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 12 Feb 2009 10:00 #30873

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Looks like a more accurate figure would have been $400,000 for all of his 6 screens. Although, I can't imagine why he would say everything will be digital by next year. It could be he is stretching the truth a bit to make himself look better in his decision to close. If he were making money, he would be waiting until the last possible minute when he couldn't get film anymore to close, or at least much closer to that day.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 12 Feb 2009 14:28 #30874

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Remember he is closing to make room for a CVS pharmacy and other retail space.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 12 Feb 2009 18:23 #30875

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
There's always a back story and Rite Aid seems to figure. An old tired theatre in a great spot is worth more for raw land. Here's a new theatre under construct......

Published on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

14-screen movie theater coming to Hope Mills

By Rebecca Logan
Staff writer
ADVERTISEMENT

Contributed photo
Hope Mills‘ new theater will be similar to the Grand 14 at Market Common in Myrtle Beach, S.C. It also is operated by Stone Theatres. See a map of the new site, Page 4A
HOPE MILLS — A new 14-screen movie theater could be serving popcorn off Camden Road as early as November.

Work began in recent days on the theater, which will be a focal point of an 80-acre development called Millstone Village. It will include shops, restaurants, offices and high-end homes and condominiums just south of North Main Street.

The theater, with its stadium seating, also will be a new player in the quest for the entire area’s entertainment dollar.

“We are looking very, very much forward to coming down to the Hope Mills community,” said Dale Coleman, vice president of operations for Charlotte-based Stone Theatres, which will own and operate the theater at Millstone.

“Also, Mr. Stone is very passionate about giving back to the men and women that serve our country,” Coleman said. “So we’re excited about the military situation.”

Coleman was referring to Stone Theatres’ chief executive, Herman Stone, who once held the helm of the 421-screen Consolidated Theatre chain before it was sold last year to Regal Cinemas Inc.

Coleman also was once a Consolidated executive.

Millstone Village developer Tommy Bradford said he has known the former Consolidated folks for years. Decades ago, Bradford’s company built two small Fayetteville theaters: one in Eutaw Village (which has since closed) and one that morphed into what is now the Wynnsong 7.

“We were in a buying group with them, and we sold our theaters to them in something like 1980,” Bradford said. “So I met them all the way back then.”

Stone Theatres was top of his mind for the Millstone project, he said.

“They’re upstanding people, and they will make sure the theater is well run,” Bradford said.

Stone Theatres currently operates locations at The Streets at Southpoint in Durham and in a development called The Market Common in Myrtle Beach, S.C. The theater at Millstone will look similar to those architecturally, Coleman said.

Last year, Hope Mills annexed the land where the theater is headed. Developers have been talking for months about bringing a theater to Hope Mills, but it took time to lock in exactly who was going to do it.

“They told us from the get-go that it was going to happen, and it’s happening,” said Mayor Eddie Dees. “It’s going to be a great thing for Hope Mills.”

Traffic will be discussed as the project progresses.

“There are plans to widen Camden Road, so that will help some,” Dees said.

Bradford Builders partnered on the project with Landfall Partners and Watson-Caviness for development of the property.

“Hope Mills is booming, and they (Stone Theatres) saw that with their demographic studies,” Bradford said.

The theater is only one piece of the Millstone puzzle. Condos and houses priced $180,000 to $300,000 are in the works.

Bradford said construction has started on about one-half dozen of those. Work will start on another 20 or 30 within the next 45 days, he said.

Restaurants, shops and offices also are planned.

Now that ground has been broken on the theater, the other tenants should start falling into place quickly, Bradford said, adding that developers had been holding off on leases to some extent until they were sure the promise of a theater could be delivered.

Had developers switched to a grocery store or department store anchor, the project would have taken a different direction, he said.

“It’s a whole planned community,” Bradford said. “It has walking trails that will go over to the coffee shop. You can walk to the ice cream store and feel just like you’re in a Charlotte community, a Raleigh community — one that has been planned out all the way.”

While Stone Theatres will be the owner and the operator of the theater, Bradford said the local developers will own and operate the surrounding shopping center.

Bradford talked to a number of movie theater operators before Stone Theatres signed on.

Dean Melvin, who runs the Omni Cinema 8 on Sycamore Dairy Road, said he had discussed the project with Bradford.

“I’ll tell you, I would have liked to have been a part of it,” Melvin said. “But I’d have been a little nervous, too.”

Melvin wonders whether Hope Mills is ready to support 14 screens.

“I know they’re going to pull from Lumberton. And there is a lot of growth out there,” Melvin said. “But it could be years before it’s really ready to support something that big. Then again, I don’t really know.”

The Omni focuses on sub-run movies, meaning viewers pay less in exchange for seeing them later than at a first-run theater.

Other than the Cameo Art House Theatre on Hay Street, which serves a niche market with independent or art films, Carmike Cinemas has held the monopoly on first-run films in Cumberland County since 2001.

That was the year that Regal, which used to operate what is now the Omni, left town as it reorganized under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

That also was the year that bankrupt General Cinema closed a three-screen, 25-year-old theater at Cross Creek Mall.

Later in 2001, General Cinema handed over its remaining 66 theaters to the AMC chain — including the Cross Point 6 on Morganton Road (roughly where Bed Bath & Beyond is today). AMC quickly closed it.

So what does Carmike think about having another player to contend with?

“We’ve been in Fayetteville a long time,” said Fred Van Noy, Carmike’s chief operating officer. “We’re going to continue be a competitor in the market.”

Van Noy said Monday that Carmike has recently been looking into how much it would cost to upgrade its 12-screen theater in Westwood Shopping Center to stadium seating.

If those price quotes come back to their liking, the next step would be to secure some favorable lease conditions with the landlord, he said.

Van Noy said the theater at Marketfair is due some cosmetic fixes, but nothing more than fixing normal wear and tear is in the works there.

Van Noy said it’s premature to contemplate any changes for Wynnsong 7 off Boone Trail Extension.

“That’s a nice little theater with a customer base that’s very loyal to us,” he said. “Even after we did the stadium seating at Marketfair, the Wynnsong held onto its customers.”

Melvin, who runs the Omni, said he doubts Carmike would take the Wynnsong to a sub-run format, though the thought has crossed his mind. It would mean competition for him.

Staff writer Rebecca Logan can be reached at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or 486-3582.
Keep up to date with all the news! Try our TxtAlerts, Fayobserver.com m
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 13 Feb 2009 13:32 #30881

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Here is another. The City here is building the theatre in hopes it will stimulate their downtown.

www.bnd.com/homepage/story/648663.html

GRANITE CITY -- The City Council has had an early peek at the new movie theater it is building downtown.

The project to build a three-screen movie theater is going forward, with approval of the architectural plans for the project Mayor Ed Hagnauer hopes will put "feet on the street" downtown again.

"We're trying to be aggressive," Hagnauer said. "We're trying to build our downtown, and one thing we've always had up until four years ago was a theater."
The largest screen will seat 247 people and will be the metro-east's only 3-D screen. The second screen will seat 158 and the third 112. It will be located at Niedringhaus and Delmar, across the street from the triangular Civic Park.

The first-run movie house will cost about $4 million to build, including the architectural design fees. The money will be paid from the downtown tax increment financing fund. It will be owned by the city and managed by St. Louis Cinemas for $150,000 a year on a two-year contract, renewable in one-year terms.

St. Louis Cinemas operates the Chase Park Plaza and St. Louis Galleria theaters.

Economic developer John Ferry said while there is sufficient money in the fund to pay for its construction and the operating contract, within a year they hope ticket sales will generate enough money to make it self-sustaining.

"We initially had tried to get a company to build a theater of their own, whether downtown or elsewhere," Ferry said.

But conglomerates want 12-to-15-screen theaters near interstates, Ferry said, and while Granite City can support a three-screen theater, it probably couldn't support a big multiplex.

"And the movie theater business has been on somewhat of a decline," he said. Kerasotes Theatres, for example, bought a plot of land in Collinsville years ago to build a multiplex, and it has sat dormant ever since.

Tickets at Granite City's theater will be priced a little lower than other area theaters. The exact price has yet to be determined, Ferry said, but they are aiming for $6 to $6.50.

Not everyone is in favor of the project. Alderman David Partney was the sole no vote against building the theater.

"I'm afraid, with it being the first thing going in, that it's going to be a failure," Partney said. "We're not a big community here, and I've seen more cities lose their theaters... If we've got a loser here, it could bite deeply into our pockets."

Partney said he also has a philosophical disagreement with the project.

"I don't think we should be in private enterprise," he said. "We're here to provide police and fire services, take care of streets and services. We're not here to run a business."

The hope is to create foot traffic and kickstart a revitalization of Granite City's downtown, which Hagnauer described as "desolate."

"We realize it's not going to be the shopping mecca it was in the 1950s," Haganuer said. "We're just trying to make it not necessarily the center of attention, but that people will come and see what we have."

Nor is the theater the only plan for Granite City's downtown. Ferry said the city has gradually been buying up vacant lots and buildings downtown, including three adjacent to the theater site. "We've got a handful of larger anchor projects, and we're trying to buy up property in the surrounding area, not to make a profit, but to help develop without the hassle of development issues," Ferry said.

It's a way to make Granite City more sustainable and less dependent on the ailing steel mills, Hagnauer said.

"None of us anticipated what's going on now (with the mills), but what's been our goal all along... is that we need to look at other ventures and not just be dependent on our steel producers," Hagnauer said. "Our downtown was so desolate, and it starts to creep into your neighborhoods. We think by bringing these things back that will help rejuvenate our downtown area."

Hagnauer said there is a "major developer" looking at Granite City's downtown for shops and lofts.

"We hope we're on the verge of something big," he said.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 13 Feb 2009 21:08 #30886

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
It was interesting reading the comments as well.

Looks there really is no theater close by? But only 3 screens for $4 million? I have 3 myself but would love to have at least 6.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 21 Feb 2009 10:57 #30943

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction...e&friendid=446214666

www.week.com/news/local/40010342.html

By Gina Ford

Story Published: Feb 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM CST

Story Updated: Feb 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM CST

The Academy Awards will hopefully be wrapping up around this time, two days from now. And if you're a movie buff wanting to get a last minute look at some Oscar-worthy films, than you're in luck; The Peoria Theatre Independent Film and Event Center has just arrived. And it's for adults only.

Multimedia Watch The Video
I bet you've never seen this play in Peoria. People sitting in a movie theater drinking beer, wine and cocktails. But at the Peoria Theatre it's no kids allowed, you must be 21to buy a ticket.

And the Peoria Theatre Independent Film and Event Center General Manager says it's the older crowd they're trying to appeal to.

"I like the fact that you can go to the movies, you can have a drink and there's no children"said Claudia Heming.

Tammy Burtch said, "Yeah, it's nice to be with an over 21 crowd. And another thing I like about it is I can't bring the kids,sorry".

The General Manager says they hope to cater to a group of movie buffs, who have had a difficult time seeing independent films in Peoria in the past.

"To get movies nobody else has. And frankly the movies we're going for, nobody else is going to have. But you also see those are the same movies that are up for Academy Awards", said General Manager Luke McCann.

And at a reasonable price. Admission is six dollars, five for students and seniors.

"We're not trying to rip anyone off. We're cheaper than most bars are as far as cocktails, we're cheaper than most movie theaters as far as candy", said McCann.

And During the daytime, the facility is open for conferences, parties, and other events, business or pleasure.

The General Manager says they have, "Wireless internet, digital projectors, huge movie screens, comfortable chairs".

The theatre rests between Landmark movie theatre and the bowling alley. And after being open just a week and a half, residents say they hope it's around for years to come.

"It looks like the venue is really neat and I hope they're successful, and I hope they continue to be that way, because we will come" said Zan Ransburg.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 21 Feb 2009 11:00 #30944

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
cbs11tv.com/local/Starplex.Stadium.Starplex.2.940115.html

A Fort Worth theatre is cracking down on unruly teens and parents, trying to drop off their youngsters at the theatre, could be in for a big surprise.

The changes are happening at the Starplex Stadium 10, on Hulen Bend.

Young people going to the theatre Friday night will be greeted by a sign that informs them they need to be accompanied by an adult. The flyers posted at the theater read, in part: "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY – Due to a rise at disruptive customers, Starplex Hulen 10 now has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY. This notice is to serve as the ONLY WARNING!"

Moviegoers claim to be experiencing the same thing that often occurs at North Texas shopping malls – parents drive up, drove off children and don't return for hours.

Last weekend, the routine caused a problem at the Starplex Stadium. Witnesses say there was a huge crowd of unruly teens hanging around and fights broke out. The incidents meant anyone hoping for a quiet night at the theater had their night ruined.

The new policy at the Starplex Stadium basically states that no underage children will be allowed at the theater after dark. "The policy states that anyone that is age 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult, guardian, age 21 or over, or a parent, after 6 pm, for any show," explained manager Steven Holtz. "Doesn't matter what the rating is, they have to be here accompanied by an adult."

The theater will hand out flyers to parents who are pulling to the curb to drop their children off.

Theater management also stated that if someone sneaks inside they will be escorted out by a police officer and given a citation.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 21 Feb 2009 11:04 #30945

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearun...0220,0,6826299.story

Police foil plot to burn down Arundel movie theater
By Julie Scharper | This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
1:13 PM EST, February 20, 2009
Anne Arundel County police thwarted an attempt to burn down a Pasadena movie theater led by former employees early today, police said.

Around 12:30 a.m., a caller reported seeing people tampering with the doors of the Jumpers Cinema in the 8000 block of Jumpers Hole Road.

When officers arrived, they smelled smoke and gasoline and saw a small blaze in the theater, which they quickly extinguished, police said.

Police arrested five people who were walking away from the movie theater, including one carrying a gasoline container. Three people driving away from the theater were also arrested, and another person later turned himself in to police.

Two the suspects, Steven L. Fiataugaluia, 20, of the 100 block of Baltimore Ave. in Glen Burnie, and Sandra E. Malott, 20, of the 300 block of Aquahart Road in Glen Burnie, were former movie theater employees who planned the fire with Andrew Griffith, 19, of the first block of Hollins Ferry Road in Ferndale, police said.

They had originally hatched a scheme to burn down the theater on Friday the 13th, but their plans were postponed, police said.

Police also arrested Ahmed Ghani, 21, of the 15000 block of Cedar Brook Place in Hughesville; Ryan P. Moore, 18, of the first block of Woodland Drive in Severna Park; Emily R. Ledford, 20, of the 8400 block of Elvaton Road in Glen Burnie; Walter W. Beatty of the 7700 block of Moonfall Court in Pasadena; Adam L. Beatty of the 400 block of Rose Ave. in Glen Burnie; and Julie Shrout, 24, of the 7700 block of Glen Ave. in Pasadena.

All have been charged with second-degree arson and second-degree burglary, police said.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department and the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting police in the investigation.

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 26 Feb 2009 10:36 #30990

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/02/25/m...35b08ea040014150.txt

NORMAL -- There’s some new competition on the block for Twin City movie theaters. | VIDEO: Tour the new Starplex Cinemas | Ticket prices: Best deal in town?

Starplex Cinemas, in the Constitution Trail Centre at Main Street and Raab Road in north Normal, opens Friday with tickets priced to match or beat what’s playing at other first-run theaters in town.

That’s typically how Starplex operates, said District Manager Michelle Connelly.

“It’s to be competitive, but ... regardless of the market that you’re in, you have to be affordable,” Connelly said.

The theater, 201 McKnight Drive, will charge $6 for matinees, students, children and seniors and $8 for adults after 6 p.m. The theater has an added charge of $2 for 3-D movies.

Those prices are intended to draw people to the theater, which provides another option for moviegoers — one that’s closer to home for some community members, said General Manager Mike Fenske.

“It’s a lot of value for what you get for what you pay at the box office,” Fenske said.

Digital projection, 3-D features

Starplex will show movies on 14 screens, two of which are intended for digital projection and 3-D features.

The 44,064-square-foot, 2,500-seat theater also has high-back, leather rocking chairs with moveable armrests, as well as tiered stadium seating, wall-to-wall screens and digital surround sound.

Extended concession offerings like pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, mini tacos and ice cream will complement traditional movie treats like popcorn, candy and pop in the theater’s Star Cafe. Moviegoers also can play arcade games in the lobby.

The theater’s opening means the Twin Cities will have 55 movie screens at six theaters, including one at the Normal Theater in uptown Normal. That town-owned movie theater shows a variety of films, including classics and ones themed to holidays and events.

That competition is good, said Kelly Hoskins, director of marketing for St. Louis-based Wehrenberg Theatres, which owns the Galaxy 14 Cine in west Bloomington that opened a year ago.

“We look at competition as keeping everybody on their toes and also giving moviegoers options,” Hoskins said.

While Galaxy 14 has specials, such as its free family winter series, it typically costs a little more to see a flick there as regular prices range from $6.25 for children to $8.75 for evening shows for adults. Patrons pay $2.50 more for 3-D features and $2 more for mega-screen movies.

But the theater’s 25-foot-by 60-foot mega-screen is something that sets it apart, Hoskins said.

“There’s nothing like the mega-screen,” she said. “You just can’t replace it.”

While Hoskins doesn’t expect Galaxy to lower its fees to beat Starplex, some price wars could start with Carmike Cinemas’ Twin City theaters.

Carmike’s home office sets box office prices to be comparable to the competition, said Ruth Kreiser, district manager for Carmike Cinemas in Illinois and Indiana, which owns Bloomington’s Palace Cinema 10 and Parkway Cinema 8 and Normal’s University 8.

The Twin City theaters raised their fees when Galaxy 14 Cine opened, while still keeping overall lower ticket prices.

Now, Carmike dropped its price on the Jonas Brothers 3-D concert that opens Friday from $18 to $12 to match Starplex’s charge, Kreiser said. Concession prices dropped this week at Palace and Parkway just because of the down economy, and the theaters’ $2.50 charge on other 3-D shows, as well as regular prices, may change after the new theater opens, she said.

“It’s hard to be competitive if you’re going higher than the competition,” Kreiser said.

Price check

Here’s a look at ticket prices at Twin City theaters:

Starplex Cinemas

Matinees: $6

Children: $6

Students: $6

Seniors: $6

Adults: $8

Extra charges: $2 more for 3-D features, excluding concerts

Galaxy 14 Cine

Matinees: $6.75

Children: $6.25

Students: $6.75

Seniors: $6.75

Adults: $8.75

Extra charges: $2.50 more for 3-D features, excluding concerts; $2 more for mega-screen movies

Palace Cinema 10, Parkway 8, University 8

Matinees: $6.50, except at University where the price is $6.75

Children: $6

Students: $5.50, except after 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Seniors: $5.75

Adults: $8.50

Extra charges: $2.50 more for 3-D features, excluding concerts. University does not offer 3-D features.

Normal Theater

Adults: $6

Children: $5

SOURCES: Starplex Cinemas, Galaxy 14 Cine, Carmike Cinemas, www.normaltheater.com

Re:Interesting reads from across the country 26 Feb 2009 10:39 #30991

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting way to finance ongoing operations.

www.selmatimesjournal.com/news/2009/feb/...on-theater-near-you/

Coming soon to a theater near you
By Leesha Faulkner (Contact) | Selma Times-Journal

Published Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Residents in Selma and the surrounding area won't have to travel as far later this year to see a movie.

The Selma City Council has approved a resolution that would pay Gaiter Ventures of Atlanta 75 cents for every $1 tax added onto the cost of the price of a ticket. All council members voted in favor of the project except Councilwoman Susan Keith, who abstained.

Keith and her husband, Alston, once ran a movie theater in Selma. It has since closed.

Caesar Gaiter, who is behind the venture, said the 75 cents is an incentive. He said he would not use the ticket tax money to build the four plex at the former Goody's location in the Selma Mall.

"It's all my funding; not public money," Gaiter said, adding the project would cost about $1.5 million.

Alabama state law allows local governments to use taxes, such as the $1 ticket tax, to generate incentives for economic development, said Jimmy Nunn, the city's attorney.

The incentive would work like this: Every person going into the theater would pay $1 tax on top of the ticket price. The tax cents would go into a special account for the city and used for a designated purpose. At a recent work session, council members discussed using the money for the recreation department.

Each quarter, Gaiter's company would submit an invoice to the city for 75 cents on every ticket sold at the theater. The city would pay this 75 cents out of its general fund, based on the number of tickets sold.

"Cities have stepped up to get companies to development economically," he said. "It wouldn't be good business for me to go into this without a partnership. I'm asking the city to partner with me."

Nancy Smith, a resident of Selma, spoke in favor of the incentive pay. "It is done all over the country. People find a way to help businesses come to their cities, and I think we need to do this as well."

Gaiter Ventures began as a retail sales company. Gaiter said he was a builder of homes and commercial services. Now Gaiter Ventures owns three hair salons and a hair care supply business that generates about $3.5 million. "We're doing quite well," he said.

This is Gaiter's first attempt at a movie theater. He said he was contacted by a city employee, who said Selma wanted a movie theater. Gaiter said he came to Selma and met with various interested people and the ball began rolling.

Gaiter said he expects to complete the theater by the time the May blockbusters come rolling into theaters. He promises first-runs movies at the theater. He also plans to have matinees for elementary- and middle-school-aged children as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction