Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems?

Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 20 Jan 2009 01:09 #30734

• onescreen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello to all,
Just purchased a onescreen in a small town in Eastern Montana.
It needs lots and lots of tlc, but the price was right.
My question is.
I need to shut down for a month or so to do some major cleaning and remodeling. Will I run into any problems with the studios or booking agent, losing contracts, no longer able to run the shows, etc....
Please any help would be greatly appreciated if any of you would forsee any problems I might run into.
Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 20 Jan 2009 01:33 #30736

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
None.....you will need to set up all new accounts anyway....

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 20 Jan 2009 01:43 #30737

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
Your first contact should be with the booking agent. He or she should be the one to notify the studios and to initiate their getting you new agreements to sign. The booking agent is also the one who will take care of film scheduling and/or re-scheduling around your down time. Don't delay talking to the booking agent, whether or not it's going to be the same one now booking for the theater.

It is likely that everyone in the booking chain will be delighted that the theater is being fixed up.

Alan G

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 20 Jan 2009 06:26 #30738

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Most drive-ins are closed 4 to 7 months out of the year. Sales patterns of established theatres are well-known to the studios, so there's no reason to expect different treatment for that reason alone.

In your case, it will probably be more a matter of getting established. Closing, opening AND being new shakes up any former pattern that might have been expected. The studios don't react well to sudden change.

I'd start by taking plenty of time to find a very good booker. Ask for independent references, and check them! Since the booker is a known factor, and you aren't, that's probably the best way to get through this with the least challenge. You'll probably have to toe the line pretty religeously, at least for awhile. The past performance of the theatre, good or bad, might also follow you around for a time, until you prove your way of doing things to be better... or worse.

Good luck!

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 20 Jan 2009 10:18 #30740

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Did you buy the existing business as well, or did they shut it down?

If the former, you should be able to maintain the theatres current contracts and deals (in fact, you're probably legally required to). You should have the booker notify the distributors that the ownership of the business has changed, as they will most likely need new personal guarantees.

If they pulled out (business and all), you get to start over. Find a booking agent and he/she/they will arrange to have your studio agreements sent out.

Depending on how well the previous owners handled their business, you may need to make some additional contact with the studios. In my case, I have to enclose a cover letter with every agreement clarifying that the former exhibitors at my location closed completely and that there is no business relationship between them and us. Otherwise, I get a "we won't book there until the bill is paid" message.

Any pictures of the place online? I always like to look at other single screens.

-David

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 25 Jan 2009 14:53 #30769

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
If you shut down, you will need to get a new Occupancy Permit I would imagine. Be very careful there as you may be required to install any number of additional upgrades that you may nothave expected. Depending upon the particular situation, it may be cost prohibitive. If the previous business was still running and you continue to run it without closing even for a day then you don't trigger the same regulatory scrutiny.

Re:Just bought a onescreen need to shut down for a month or so to remodel any problems? 04 Feb 2009 18:19 #30824

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Most points were hit. If you wil do your own booking then contacty all the distribs, the majors, and tell them what you are doing. If not: your booker will help you. Good luck and have fun.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction