Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons!

One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 26 Dec 2008 16:13 #30597

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I know just how he felt. 27 Dec 2008 19:24 #30607

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
(CNN) -- A man angry that a family was talking during a movie threw popcorn at the son and then shot the father in the arm, according to police in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

James Joseph Cialella was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.

James Joseph Cialella, 29, was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons violations, a police report said.

Cialella told the family sitting in front of him in the theater on Christmas Day to be quiet, police said.

An argument ensued while others at the Riverview Movie Theatre watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Cialella then approached the family from the left side of the aisle and shot the father, who was not identified, as he was standing between Cialella and his family, according to the police report.

The victim was taken to Jefferson Hospital with a gunshot wound to his left arm, police said.

Cialella was carrying a Kel-Tec .380-caliber handgun clipped inside his sweatpants, police said. He was arrested and taken into custody
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:I know just how he felt. 28 Dec 2008 01:31 #30610

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Rude patrons are ruining the movie-going experience. As a patron, I have thrown a piece of popcorn or two at rude people in the dark and told others to be quiet or to shut off their phones. Usually they comply, but sometimes they don't. I am certainly not condoning the guy's action, but I do understand his frustration. The victim probably thinks he didn't do anything wrong.

The combination of rude patrons and angry, retaliatory patrons in theatres makes many people not want to go out to the movies. This is something that all theatre owners/managers should be more attentive to and strive to prevent.

Re:I know just how he felt. 28 Dec 2008 03:53 #30611

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
The last 2 days i have had a lot of rude & NASTY PEOPLE.Very rare for us as most people are nice and love the theater..It has been a long 2 days.........

Re:I know just how he felt. 31 Dec 2008 14:40 #30628

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
slapintheface wrote:
The last 2 days i have had a lot of rude & NASTY PEOPLE.Very rare for us as most people are nice and love the theater..It has been a long 2 days.........

Yah... much of our trouble comes from occasional "new" customers, who get away with borish behavior at other places, and think it's ok here, too. We either get them trained in, or send the hopeless cases to our competition! :blink:

Re:One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 31 Dec 2008 15:54 #30629

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Was that theatre so short staffed that there were no managers or ushers to do regular auditorium checks? When I was with Regal either I or one of our ushers would check the auditoriums (10) about every 15 minutes. If I was in the booth (which had very large ports) and I saw someone using a cell phone I'd get their attention and give them the cut sign. Worked every time. If I was on the floor and someone was talking (usually tweens and teens) I approach them and tell them it was the only warning they would get and the next time they were out of here without a refund. I had no tolerance for those who cause a disturbance. I believe there would be less disturbances if theatres made regular auditorium checks. I know many people who stay away from multiplexes because there is no crowd control in many of them.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 01 Jan 2009 18:21 #30638

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
revrobor wrote:
I believe there would be less disturbances if theatres made regular auditorium checks. I know many people who stay away from multiplexes because there is no crowd control in many of them.

Yah... things have changed since you were here, Robert.

Nowadays, a concession worker walks a bee-line straight down the aisle, looks at the screen (as if to confirm there's really a film on), then 'bout faces and walks straight back out of the room.

Re:One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 01 Jan 2009 18:45 #30639

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We are constantly in checking our theatres but bottom line is that we have to rely on patrons to complain. Talkers know when we enter the theatre. We are very proactive but extremel;y reactive as well. If we get a complaint we are ON the guys.

Burney.... don't throw popcorn...tell the management. :)

Yelling at people yourself turns it into a us vs. them. It's much better to let staff know and they'll take care of it.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 04 Jan 2009 02:28 #30649

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I, too, encourage my patrons to come out and tell one of us about any problems or distractions. The problem for me, when I am a patron, is that I don't want to get up, walk down the long hallway, and wait to be recognized by a staff member to tell them there is a problem patron. I go to see the movie and I want to see all of it. I believe most patrons feel the same way.

As a patron, I have gone out to complain on several occasions. The usual result: Some dweeb in a theatre shirt walks in, briefly looks around, and walks out. They don't wait in the back of the auditorium long enough to even have their eyes adjust to the darkness.

I just believe that theatre staff need to be more vigilant and routinely check their auditoriums in an effective, yet non-distracting manner.

Re:One Way To Deal With Noisy Patrons! 04 Jan 2009 02:38 #30651

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Amen Burney! BTW I still hope to get down there (maybe in the spring).
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction