Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intermissions?

Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 12:59 #30137

• onescreen
  • Fresh Boarder
Greetings,
First off; my wife and I are trying to buy a single screen theatre in a town of 600. It is owned by the County so the sale is going mighty slow.
I have been enjoying this site tremendously, it has really given me a great look into the business both in front and behind the curtain, so I thank you.
My question is; Do any of you have intermissions like in the old days. I guess my thinking is for concession sales and bathroom breaks.
Any feedback would be great.
Thank you
Onescreen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 13:39 #30139

• estejango
  • Fresh Boarder
I think you'll find most don't like to have their movie interrupted. We ran intermission for kid shows, but they were free and that was understood before we began. Bumped concession up quite a bit, too. And every time we've shut down for tornado warnings we always had a nice spike in concession sales, but we didn't do that intentionally. Unless you're running a double feature, I doubt you'll find too many customers receptive to the intermission idea.

Re:Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 13:53 #30141

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Hmmm. I'm not sure I've seen an intermission since "Reds" for a new release in the States.

The Ohio Theatre in Columbus runs a summer movie series, in which every film has a 15 minute intermission, pretty much regardless of length. But this is an atypical audience going to see library titles.

If the film is long and has a logical point at which an intermission could be initiated, then it might work as a selling point. I would have killed for intermission (maybe two) during the groaningly long Hobbit movies. But given that they seemed as though they would never end, maybe it's best that I didn't lose another 15 minutes to them.

Intermissions may be limited by your contract with the studio. If you were to work it out, I would definitely run a tag before the film announcing that an intermission will be had.

If you have a slide projector or video projector, run a fancy intermission card, pay your ASCAP/BMI fees, and run licensed music appropriate for the movie during the interval. You would also need some time of annunciator in your lobby to give five and one minutes warnings.

I think the bigger issue is what you are allowed to do by TPTB.

-David

Re:Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 14:00 #30143

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
we've run a couple on longer movies and people, on the whole, seem to enjoy them. Just use lots of signage and slides if you're able to so nobody is surprised. I looked over my exhibitor paperwork with the studios and couldn't find any mention of an intermission or whether or not they forbade it.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 14:04 #30144

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
As an addendum to my earlier post...

Don't be tempted to run ads during the intermission (except for concessions if desired) via slide or video projectors. I think this would be confusing for people who don't know what an intermission is (yes, they exist) and tacky to everyone else.

-David

Re:Intermissions? 21 Oct 2008 19:44 #30145

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Out of curiosity, I looked at my licenses.

... From Sony Pictures:

..."Such exhibition shall be without any cuts or alterations of any kind without any interruption, except what is necessary for theater maintenance and entrance and exit of patrons."

I would read that to mean "no intermissions".

Re:Intermissions? 22 Oct 2008 10:43 #30153

• onescreen
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much for all the responses! I knew you all would have the answers.
I always liked watching Gone With The Wind with my dad growing up and after the 'I'll never go hungry again' proclamation, the blue screen with the word 'Intermission' would come on.
But I do understand if there are rules they must be followed and I agree, I just took my 3 year old son to Igor and honestly even he couldn't wait for it to get over (happened with Alvin and the Chipmunks as well, about half way through he got off his chair, started putting his coat on and looked at me and said 'let's go home dad' so i can see how an Intermission might drag out an already long long evening.
Again thanks for all the responses, hope to pick your brains more the closer we get if this all works out.

Re:Intermissions? 22 Oct 2008 13:02 #30158

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
An intermission within a single feature film or an intermission between showings of a feature film(s)?

Intermissions between showings are common at drive-in theaters.

Re:Intermissions? 23 Oct 2008 09:31 #30170

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
onescreen wrote:
I always liked watching Gone With The Wind with my dad growing up and after the 'I'll never go hungry again' proclamation, the blue screen with the word 'Intermission' would come on.
But I do understand if there are rules they must be followed and I agree,

Don't mistake an "exhibitor-created" intermission with one put in by the studios. "Gone with the wind" was a long sunovagun, and the intermission was part of the show. Same with "Dr. Zhivago".

The studio objection is for cases where theatre owners take it upon themselves to chop a show in the middle somewhere... that's what's not allowed by contract.

However, I have seen talk in other forums about intermissions being common in other countries... to the point that films we see here in their entirety, are being provided to these other countries with intermissions added by the studios... go figure.

Re:Intermissions? 26 Oct 2008 14:15 #30195

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
hmmm, I guess, I disagree. The current Sony MLA is twelve pages long. I would think with all of the legal-ease that it uses that it could use the word intermission if they truly forbid it. I read that sentence to mean not to make any changes to the print or to eliminate any portions of it. I'm no lawyer so I could certainly be wrong
"What a crazy business"

Re:Intermissions? 26 Oct 2008 18:25 #30196

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
... From Sony Pictures:

..."Such exhibition shall be without any cuts or alterations of any kind without any interruption, except what is necessary for theater maintenance and entrance and exit of patrons."

I interpret "without any interuption" to mean "without an intermission".

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:Intermissions? 27 Oct 2008 10:18 #30207

• onescreen
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks to all for the insight.
They start the movies here on the weekend at 7:30, I thought we might start our shows (if the sale goes through, the county commissioners are meeting again today to discuss it more) at 7pm so I could fit my own intermission in and sell some more popcorn and still get the folks out at a decent hour.
Again thank you for all the responses, I'll let you know how things progress as far as the sale goes, if it does, cross your fingers.
Thanks again
OneScreen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction