Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: report from Show East

report from Show East 13 Oct 2008 22:53 #30106

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Just had my first day.

Goody Bag has been reformatted to reflect national situation: now will be known as Goody Envelope.

Had a nice dinner sitting with Slap (mike) and Dave and Sandy. Free cocktails. Good chicken. Tried a hot dog. Not bad. Not good.

I asked "how do you like the new BigScreenBiz?" and they good naturedly told me it feels very impersonal. I'll work on that.:ohmy:

We went to see EARTH, Disney nature series of films first release. I've seen parts of it on Animal Planet already. Very nice and visual on the huge digital screen but questionable boxoffice at best. There's scene where Polar Bear (a very hungry one) tries to drag a Walrus off to no avail. That's how I felt trying to get a Chidoggie film from Disney. Good luck.

We also saw some upcoming trailers from Dworld: Bolt-Shopoholic-Christmas Story (?) and some other thing I forget. Looked good. Don't they all?

Had a cup of coffee and a celebratory end of the world as we know it mini eclair. Let them eat mini eclairs.

I brought an extra bag for my Goody Bag but I'll just slip said "goody Bag" in my fanny pack instead.

More later.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:report from Show East 15 Oct 2008 16:45 #30113

• Mike
  • Administrator
Show East continues on. It's a long show. Monday through Thursday. 4 days.

The trade show is light this year. It reminded me of the quietness just after 9/11. No Pepsi and sharply reduced presences overall.

Attendence feels light too.

Have now seen Earth: hum. Frost/Nixon which was teriffic and I really did not expect it. For a guy in his mid 20's as the pres went down and the interview followed it was deja vu and revealing.
Had a double feature of Soul Men and it was a bit slapsticky but wonderful to see and savor Bernie Mac.... we miss you Bernie.... and Issac Hayes too. Then went into Zach and Miri which was the best film to date. Full frontal male and female nudity, simulated sex, no erections unless you count a fair amount of dildo toys, a full rear testes view (I am trying to be well mannered here) of Jason Mewes, and it was a real laugher, groaner, and one of the most explosive laugh scenes which I will not soil...spoil for you. We had a free seats full house of the exact demographic and I think they loved it.

Meanwhile I've chosen to skip Paul Blart Mall Cop. And I forget Nothing Like The Holidays / Hispanic family drama/comedy that veers from gun violence to silly tree cutting to cancer to lost and new love to family angst, Jewish wife conflicts, wanna get pregnant fights, and everyone lives happily ever after. The haunted son back from Iraq knocks it out of the park for all our vets. Will it play in Belfast, Maine? No. But wherever Hispanics can get near a theatre it will do great business. We just don't see enough real Americans, and how many millions of Hispanic Americans are there? It reminded me of my family when I was younger: too much drinking and yelling. (now we just drink: just kidding)

The dinners and lunches have been...say what? Nothing of realinterest to report. I am off to Bongo's Cuban restuarant for Dinner and Transporter 3 which is a guaranteed hit.

No stars. Not one.

Exhib relations event gift: one old video dvd of Never Say Die or some dammed Von Damme.

It is always a pleasure to meet so many exhibitors and share our experiences.

That said: Thursday night looks good. I've been on the road since last Weds. and I am ready to head North.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:report from Show East 17 Oct 2008 10:11 #30114

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The best movie by far was FROST/NIXON.....THE WORST MALL COP..

Re:report from Show East 18 Oct 2008 00:00 #30116

• Mike
  • Administrator
What was that? A report via a Blackberry?

I am back in Jax and feeling burnt out. I have been away from home 10 days and ready to fly back. Show East was a lackluster affair. An endless array of awards given to insiders with a weak trade show and few movies of real worth. The best in MHO? Zach and Miri had the best laugh out loud moments.

Bolt? i fell asleep and thought I was sitting next to someone other than John Kelly of Weinstein who is old school and a great guy. The guy I thought he was Mark Omeara is about a foot taller. Anyway, Bolt was great... especially the theme song about home was tear jerking which was why I did not look at john Kelly as I didn't want hime to see me kind of on the edge of sobbing at a 3-d doggie movie. I am such a woos. World class.

Tom Sawyer was given a award, and he's from Jax so i went over and told him: 5 Points is back! He was happy tp hear it.favor seeekers

I hear that Miami is dead but what really is dead is the format of these shows as they are staid and tired and weak and listless. Can we get a rebirth please?

The best, the very best, is meeting fellow theatre owners.The rest is tired and needs an injection of vitality.

Will I go to Showest? Good question. I have always believed that you must go to these events but I just do not know. The management is so in bed with their slavish favor seekers (why? I will never know I hope)that I do not see a change suff to attract attendees other than those who are paid to attend. Sigh.

I need to go to bed. M.:(
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:report from Show East 18 Oct 2008 11:31 #30119

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Mike...
No argument here... just curiosity...

Why do you feel you "must go"?

Re:report from Show East 18 Oct 2008 13:32 #30121

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Showeast originally started in Philadelphia as the semi-annual meeting of NATO of Pennsylvania where it was - first and foremost - a regional exhibitor get-together which just happened to have a small tradeshow on the side.

Later NATO of NJ and NATO OF MD joined with NATO of PA in a combined meeting and the whole affair moved to Atlantic City. The AC tradeshow grew in size (and at one point was actually pretty good) but the AC affair still primarily remained a regional meet-and-greet.

Then the whole thing got hijacked to Orlando - which is when I stopped going - where it quickly evolved into a Hollywood glam fest with little or nothing to offer the small exhibitor.

Now that most business is done over the internet and via email, Showeast has little to offer anyone from a business perspective. If you want to write off an Florida vacation ..... well so be it .... but you really didn't expect anything of substance did you Mike?

Re:report from Show East 19 Oct 2008 13:08 #30123

• Mike
  • Administrator
Why do I feel these shows, even as boring as this one was, are a must go. I may have to rethink my own positions on this. But here goes.

I write from the persepective of a small town exhibitor, independent, I have rebuilt and run two theatres with 5 screens in Maine. I have helped others start/restart/consider restarting theatres. Ia advise people on a regualr basis. And I stay in touch with all of you.

I have been in a number of industries over the years, restaurant, hardware, import/gifts retailing, etc.

Whatever business you are in I believe in being completely up to date on current trends and information. To achieve that I read Variety, Film Journal, Box Office, Screen Trade and subscribe to on line information including IME and not to mention Entertainment Weekly, etc. Also lots of on-line sources.

The number one reason I go, or went to Show East and West is to reset my yearly exhibitor clock. I used to see a lot of trailers and coming attractions but they have largely stopped this as the shows have become an incesteous slog of insiders from fewer and fewer major exhibs who own more and more of the pie. They give each other awards and we are encouaged to watch and applaud while eating out 850.00 dinner.

Still I sift information out as I can find it. I talk with numerous exhib and tech and suppliers to keep my thumb on the pulse of digiatl and 3-d and what will be hot and what will be not. I put a face, admittedly a very large currently overweight face, to a name with many peiople I hope to get a print from: this is a personal business. relationships matter. I see a pile of movies and mosty are a waste but at least I know that. I see a couple good ones and now I know that. I visit and talk shop with many exhibitors who have far different operations than mine and we share pain, joys, hints, contacts, etc. That alone is worth it to me.

Is the show the greatest? No. Could it be better? Absolutely. And I hope it will. To continue down this exhausted path is indefensible. The shows should be much better than they are and instead of bowing and scraping and thanking the people who are getting very well paid to put the show together we should be demanding and expecting an improved convention.

If you are in a business you should go to your trade shows. That's why I go.

Lastly: as an independent it is easy to get sucked into my own little world. Getting out of my world and into the wider world of exhibition is critical for my success.

And a cafe' con leche at Bongo's is a pretty good reason to head there also.

By the way: Bongo's was a great party with way too many well poured Mojito's!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:report from Show East 19 Oct 2008 19:17 #30127

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I believe if you really want to know what is going on in any industry you must continue to go to the trade shows.

4 things i got out of this show.....
1.WE WILL NOW PLAY FROST NIXON(I WAS GOING TO PASS)
2. FOUND A NEW CANDY COMPANY
3. SIGNED A DEAL FOR A CO TO SEND OUT A THEATER EMAIL EVERY WEEK
4. I have decided to go with Christie digital (m)
5.MEET EYE TO EYE WITH MY FILM REPS.
I recently sold a chain of gourmet food stores i had for 18 years.In all the years we never missed 1 trade show.

Re:report from Show East 19 Oct 2008 22:03 #30128

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Do you really get the chance to meet with your sales reps that you book with? For a self booker and one further down the totem pole that maybe worth the trip. But I was under the impression you would be lucky to see 1-2 of your studio reps. So what is reality?

Re:report from Show East 19 Oct 2008 22:12 #30129

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
As many of you might recall I have been in the home video business (still hanging in there today) for approx. 20 years. It was not until I was in the business for 12 years or so did I go to my first trade show. I have also served on our Independent Retailers board (iDEA) of the EMA (used to be VSDA).

Our trade show has died the past few years. Why? The same resaons all of you mentioned. The only people we actually get a chance to meet in a good setting is the great folks at Rentrak (they handle pay per transaction-revenue sharing amongst other things you know them as). The studios? No way. The smaller independent studios barley give you 1 minute of your time. The trade show floor? Worthless, you could get through it in 15 mins.

This past summer was the first year that I chose not to go. Fortunately I have gotten to know many fine video retailers and we get together twice a year for 2 days of meetings. Those have been my best chance each year to learn new things. Any chance we could get something like that together in this industry?

I have not gone to either Show East or Show West do to other conflicts.

Re:report from Show East 20 Oct 2008 10:23 #30131

• Mike
  • Administrator
A real problem is that most studio reps do not wear a name tag so unless you know people by face you'll walk right by them. I made plans to meet Andy Strulson from Warner and worked to find people from Weinstein, Paramount, Focus, Fox and Fox Search. Getting their cell phones before show is important. At the exhib relations events I found that anyone you wanted to really talk to was shopping the other studios.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction