Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Annoying ticket checker

Annoying ticket checker 11 Oct 2008 19:15 #30098

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We just got a call from a new checker that one of the studios has hired to check on us. He called to make sure we knew he was coming and that he would be staying to watch the feature for free. Do I HAVE to let him watch it for free? This is clearly the only reason he took the job. I know the guy, he finds something to complain about every time he comes in. Normally, I would let a checker watch it, no big deal. Usually they don't stick around. But I am annoyed by this and I don't want to.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Annoying ticket checker 11 Oct 2008 21:35 #30099

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Kind of depends on what the checker is hired to do. Sometimes, their job is to document the trailers you're running. After that though, you technically could expect them to leave the auditorium.

Though this might not matter: I've never known a checker to be "hired by the studio". Every checker I've ever dealt with was working for some other company, and not for very much. Frequently, their employer will use "free movies" as a benefit to the job, though they're really not entitled to it. On one occasion, I had a checker show up with her entire family. They weren't happy that we charged for everyone but the checker. Who else gets to bring their family to work with them?

If there's something this checker is doing that you don't think is appropriate, you can always file a complaint. In the past, we've notified the studios that certain checkers will no longer be admitted, for various things, like sneaking friends in, getting too friendly with staff... stuff like that.

If the checker's documentation (always check this) is just to count, you can always designate a place where he can verify tickets sold for the show. I suppose you can always make an argument that a checker can't do his job from inside a dark auditorium, because of people coming and going. In any case, a checker does not have the run of the place, so long as he actually can do his count from wherever you designate.

Just be careful about this though. If he complains to his 'boss', this will only direct attention to you. It would be a good thing if your reason was something more than "he just annoys me". As long as they don't give you a reason not to let them on the property, you do have to let them get the information they're after. This does NOT include information about any other screen you might be running.

To be fair, most checkers we've had at our place did their jobs well, were easy to work with and were just trying to make a buck. Up here, they only get $10 or $20, and hopefully can stay for the show which, as long as everything else is good, we let them do.

Re:Annoying ticket checker 12 Oct 2008 18:52 #30102

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
checkers are paid about 20.00 to do the entire thing. They are often poor/seniors/a little desperate/it's not a lurcative job so: go easy on them. What's the skin off our butt if a checker watches the movie? Better to make a friend.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Annoying ticket checker 14 Oct 2008 05:01 #30107

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
It does seem strange that a checker would pre-announce his arrival. We never knew in advance when we'd be checked. The checker, if not doing a secret check, would just show up and display his/her credentials in order to be admitted. Of course if it's a secret check, the checker just buys a ticket and never reveals himself.

Alan G

Re:Annoying ticket checker 14 Oct 2008 11:30 #30108

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
About ten years ago we had one checker who was bothering the teenage girl customers and becoming quite annoying. Then he tried to kiss one of the popcorn girls. That was it---we called his company and read them the riot act. We never wanted that guy back again.

Re:Annoying ticket checker 14 Oct 2008 19:06 #30109

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't mind when a checker comes in. The 2 we have had in the last couple of years have been nice to have around. One is an older lady who buys a coke and chit-chats. She observes, counts, fills out papers and is on her way. Just as I suspected, this guy was beyond aggravating. He arrived VERY early, couldn't understand the questions on the paper, so we kept having to white out everything. I'm sure the auditing company will not be able to read or understand what is on the form. He wanted to count our other theaters, and insisted that I sign in all the places where he was supposed to sign. He was in and out of the theater, sometimes sitting in the back row, sometimes the front. Chatting it up with customers. I am a patient and friendly person, but I have been dealing with this person being less than pleasant for the last couple of years. You know, the sound is always too loud or too quiet, the soda has too much carbonation or not enough, its too hot or too cold and on and on and on.....I always brace myself when he comes in.

I am ranting here, but making the best of the situation by helping him through the paperwork and being nice.... :) Also, I appreciate his business even though he drives me crazy.

Re:Annoying ticket checker 15 Oct 2008 15:41 #30112

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
rodeojack wrote:
I've never known a checker to be "hired by the studio". Every checker I've ever dealt with was working for some other company, and not for very much.

So who does hire checkers?
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re:Annoying ticket checker 17 Oct 2008 12:08 #30115

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Kind of depends on what's available in the area. Around here, it appears to be a couple of outfits that coordinate "secret shopping" trips at area grocery stores. They're based about 20 miles from here, so that eats into what the checkers make.

Casual labor companies can also be used for this purpose, though I doubt the training (?) would be as good.

Speaking of "secret shoppers"... I don't worry about them at all, since their anonymity makes them "just another customer". They don't get special treatment, don't get a look at anything official and we don't sign anything, so if there really was a problem, I don't think the visits would be "secret".
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction