Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby new indie theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new indie theater

new indie theater 10 Oct 2008 15:11 #30091

• xochka
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, I tried to find an answer to my question in the older posts, with no luck.

Any and all information would be helpful.
I am going to open a small theater in an urban setting. Basically a glorified warehouse type deal with some comfy seats and a white wall.
I want to show only art-house, classics, foreign, psychadelic, midnight, indie etc type films.
No big budget hollywood or first run movies. I am buying a digital projector.
This is going to be a very underground DIY type establishment.

But I do need to know how to go about getting these films from distribution companies to show for commercial purposes, so that I can not get shut down for charging to see these films and not obeying the copyright laws.

Do I need a license for this?
Is it a lease agreement for each individual film?
How does this work?
How do I go about starting a legit theater?

Thanks for your time!
-Sochi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:new indie theater 06 Nov 2008 18:13 #30295

• dang
  • Fresh Boarder
Good question. Is there a good answer?

Re:new indie theater 06 Nov 2008 18:13 #30296

• dang
  • Fresh Boarder
Good question. Is there a good answer?

Re:new indie theater 07 Nov 2008 01:48 #30298

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
This topic is in this fourum many times ,just go back and go over all the pages.Some very good info...

Re:new indie theater 10 Nov 2008 15:32 #30318

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
You will be doing public performances of the motion pictures and will definitely need a license. If none of the following can assist you, try contacting a movie booking agent for information on getting the necessary licensing directly from the studios -- a couple of them are regulars on this site.

The following companies grant public performance rights in the specified situations.

The Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is an independent copyright licensing service exclusively authorized by major Hollywood motion picture studios and independent producers to grant Umbrella Licenses to nonprofit groups, businesses, and government organizations to ensure that the public performances of home videodiscs and videocassettes comply with the Federal Copyright Act.

Movie Licensing USA, a corporate division of Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., addresses the specific Movie Public Performance Site Licensing needs of schools and public libraries. Movie Licensing USA provides an exclusive license that satisfies the copyright protection needs of the movie producers, while offering a worry-free, liability-free movie license.

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., is a major movie distributor and a public performance licensing agent in non-theatrical markets where feature entertainment movies are shown. Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., has exclusive distribution arrangements in many markets with most American movie producers for the motion pictures seen in theaters.

Alan G

Re:new indie theater 10 Nov 2008 16:24 #30323

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Try searching on the term booking or film buyer and you should find lots of info.

Re:new indie theater 10 Nov 2008 18:16 #30324

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
"very" underground? It's hard enough to get people to come to films without being mysteriously unavailable.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction