Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business?

Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business? 06 Oct 2008 09:49 #30063

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
This does start to feel worse than other recessions as there seems to be a bit of freak in the air as banks around the world stumble and sway. Between the massive transfer of energy dollars east, our consumer economy going south, thankfully the latest cost of energy coming down, and a sense of drift within our country: where are we headed? For my theatres I notice a slow down, not huge, but more conservative spending patterns in general. Though I just read a story about Wyoming just rolling in money (like Alaska) because guess where the gas and oil and uranium and coal come from? In my areas we do not have that sort of counter balance. And you?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business? 06 Oct 2008 20:57 #30068

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Business is way ahead for the same time last year.I do believe the bad economy is very good for the movie biz.

Re:Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business? 06 Oct 2008 22:32 #30069

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
I would imagine that movie theatres aand production companies won't experience nearly as bad a drop as other industries. Movies are still the cheapest out-of-home entertainment available.

Remember how people flocked to the movies during the Great Depression, particularly for escapist musical and/or dancing films. Maybe we'll start seeing those again if things get worse. ;)

-David

Re:Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business? 08 Oct 2008 09:44 #30077

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Normally not bad. We are the low cost provider in the area so that helps too. We are down not but I think that is due to the films hollywood has been making and letting me play.

Re:Stocks down 400, again, and how will the economy affect your business? 08 Oct 2008 10:41 #30078

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The movie business in my area seems to be more or less neutral. I think '06 is going to be hard for us to top. "Pirates" pulled everything else along with it and made for an exceptional year. We didn't come close to that last year, and this season was pretty much what the last one was.

I grew up in a paper mill town near here. Every time the union went on strike, the town descended into gloom-and-doom... except for a few businesses, including the theatre. I asked the owner about that one day. He said it had always been the case that people turned to the movies for diversion from their everyday problems, so the theatres tended to ride those storms out pretty well.

That may not be quite as true today, given the alternatives sources for movies, but it still seems to apply here, to some extent.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction