Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business?

Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 11 Sep 2008 22:27 #29933

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So.....

Last week was the worst week in 5 years nationally(by comparable weekend), this weekend has 4 wide releases (all from the non-majors for the most part), none which are getting to us minnows in the sea. Looks like nothing on the break for a month or longer.

What is a minnow to do?

Last year we brought back a couple of summer blockbusters (Shrek 3 and Pirates 3) for $1 shows In mid October. We did pretty good with them but we are not too excited to dothat again.

Is it possible to generate excitement and get folks to your theater when overall they are just not going at all to any theater? (In my area, I track about a thirteen theaters, overall we are down 33%. 4 of the 13 are down more than 40%. Only 1 is doing better than negative 20% (-15%). That is for 9/2/08 - 9/10/08 vs 9/4/07 - 9/12/07.

We Thought about doing a "ticket+sm corn+sm drink for $x.00" (with "x" being a pretty significant reduction).

Bounce back coupons with the previous example if someone comes back to see a movie within 14 days (or some other time period).

I do not beleive we have the abiltiy to get customers to come to arthouse type films or anything else that might be unique so I beleive we are stuck playing move-over movies.

Any ideas? Or just smile and wait for the zoo animals and bond?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 11 Sep 2008 23:28 #29934

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
After this summer i would think people would have plenty of cash in the bank..Should only be a few bad weeks. Try bringing MAMA MIA back in the sing -a -long version.Call it karaoke cinema..

Re:Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 12 Sep 2008 10:18 #29942

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
September is always slow for us and coming after August is hard to believe but there it is. We play mostly first run from May-August and immediately inject art/lesser known stuff. This week Brideshead. (luckily we got Burn and Righteous at one theatre)and start with one week shows of Hamlet2/Vicky/Bottle Shock/66/ frozen river/tell no one. It's like throwing water bottles into a thirsty group.

It's Sept. sigh. :side:
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 14 Sep 2008 00:38 #29949

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
It is September, all right. But, at least this year, the studios have not inundated us with all R-rated material. Remember last year. That was the bleakest year ever. I am now showing THE LONGSHOTS and KIT KITTREDGE, bringing STARWARS and HOUSE BUNNY next week, and planning on bringing back the sing-a-long version of MAMA MIA soon. Looking forward to LAKEVIEW TERRACE, and RIGHTOUS KILL. I have had several requests for THE WOMEN. How is that doing at your places?
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2008 18:31 by BurneyFalls. Reason: typo

Re:Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 14 Sep 2008 10:07 #29950

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
After all our years in the business. We have found that September is a great month for us to take our vacation.

Based on grosses and some word of mouth I heard this weekend. The Women is doing very poorly.

Re:Business is Bad in my area, can anything be done to generate business? 14 Sep 2008 10:38 #29951

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Big big weekend for BURN AFTER READING for us.....Surprised how well it did!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction