Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Second run dinner theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Second run dinner theater

Second run dinner theater 01 Sep 2008 00:40 #29856

• TrikNik
  • Fresh Boarder
I manage a restaurant and I'm thinking about adding a single screen for second run movies to play as sort of a dinner theater. The town is 200 miles from the nearest theater. The town also has literally no entertainment for youth or adults. The biggest downside is that the town only has about 1500 people in it. I'd like to provide the town with something to 'get out' and do, and for people to have somewhere to take their wives/girlfriends on a date. The town desperately needs something like this.

How would I go about acquiring second run films and what does it normally cost? What format can I get them in (reels, downloads, hard drives... etc).

To begin with I was thinking about having just one film each week with a single showing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, and a matinee on sunday afternoon. I don't think the town could support more than this.

Does this sound doable? Basically it comes down to how much it costs to rent the films. I know it will be a hit in this town because there is nothing else to do. People currently drive 200 miles just to watch a movie and then turn around and come home.

If anyone has any info that could help me, I'd be ecstatic!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Second run dinner theater 01 Sep 2008 01:50 #29857

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The short answer to your question is 'yes'. Since you have a 'real' job and no theatrical competition, it might be doable.

The archives here have most of the information you need. The equipment you'll want depends on how recent you want your films, how big your screen will be and what quality of image you want. There is information on the board about 35mm films, how to access them (or hire a booker), and what kinds of films might be available on DVD, if you want to go that route.

If your questions aren't already answered here (and most are), someone's always around to help out.

Re:Second run dinner theater 01 Sep 2008 09:37 #29859

• slapintheface
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
YES AND 2 ND RUN IS THE WAY TO GO ...yOU MUST CHANGE PICTURES EVERY WEEK WITH THAT AMOUNT OF POPULATION.

Re:Second run dinner theater 01 Sep 2008 10:09 #29861

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sounds like it may work.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have the regional restaurant/theater chain called McMenamin's. They have been very successful with their concept:

1. Good food.
2. Food priced right.
3. Second run movies.
4. Movies priced right.
5. Good movie presentation.

See their website: www.mcmenamin.com
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008 10:13 by Ken Layton.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction