Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Superheroes bring huge summer haul to Hollywood!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Superheroes bring huge summer haul to Hollywood!

Superheroes bring huge summer haul to Hollywood! 30 Aug 2008 21:38 #29855

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This is from the Daily News in NY. I found it very interesting and for once Movie theatres are out in a positive light!

Superheroes bring huge summer haul to Hollywood

Bad economy, boffo box office.

With money tight and travel pricey, summer movie revenues were expected to hit an all-time high of $4.2 billion as Americans opted for the the big screen over Big Ben.

Jackie Strubbert, 21, of Queens, was exiting an afternoon screening of "The House Bunny" yesterday. She'd already seen "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Sex and the City" and "Pineapple Express" during her summer of cinema.

"Movies are fun," she explained outside a 42nd St. multiplex. "It's more of a relaxing way to get entertained without having to do anything. I'll go to a movie before I go to the bars."

Bob Russell, 28, a recent law school graduate, said movie tickets are a bargain - particularly compared to plane tickets, or even lottery tickets.

"It's only about $5 an hour, and I just lost $10 on a scratchoff," Russell said. "I like films and just sitting in the theater. It lets me forget myself for a while."

Historically, Hollywood profits during economic downturns with the price of a movie ticket still cheaper than many other amusements.

Box office tracker Media By Numbers projected summer revenue for tickets sold between the first weekend of May through Labor Day will break the record.

A total of $4.2 billion would just exceed last year's mark of $4.18 billion. The numbers were boosted by the stunning success of "The Dark Knight," the Batman sequel with the late Heath Ledger as The Joker.

The film has made $500 million, second only to the $600.8 million collected by "Titanic."

This summer's bottom line also was boosted by several other superhero successes, including "Iron Man," "The Incredible Hulk" and "Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

The set-in-New York "Sex and the City" movie was another hit, along with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Jae Santiago, 37, was checking out movie times for "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2." She was hoping to see the sequel with her 12-year-old daughter.

"It's an inexpensive way to be entertained for a couple of hours and laugh," she said. "It's a couple of hours of just entertainment and distraction."

Dan Levi, 42, a Brooklyn marketer, was headed to see "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" with his 10-year-old son. The movie provided the pair with a cheap afternoon getaway.

"It's a fun way to get out and do something together," Levi said.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction