Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Ticket Line Control
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ticket Line Control

Ticket Line Control 07 Apr 2000 14:16 #295

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi There All-We run a movie theatre and are having problems organizing or ticket lines for our Saturday showings. Many of the older children seem to think its great sport to cut in line which is unfair for the smaller children get pushed back. Aside from taking on more peopple to patrol the line, does anyone have suggestions as to how I might be able to curb this problem.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ticket Line Control 07 Apr 2000 17:33 #296

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Are you using any crowd control ropes? We are an old theatre which at one time had the box office located between the front doors. Remember those? Well, some genius did away with them, selling tickets at a small window which also houses the snackbar. If the weather is half way nice outside, the customers buy there tickets outdoors. If the tickets are sold at the snack bar indoors, then we have one side set up just for tickets. With a lane roped off for that purpose. We also have the lobby area roped off so that the ticket holder must pass by an usher (or me) and have us tear the ticket. If the movie is thought to be big attendance, then all tickets are sold outdoors, with all the entrance doors marked with signage. I think that if you have a problem with line jumpers, chances are its the same damn kids all the time. Send them to the back of the line.

Re: Ticket Line Control 07 Apr 2000 18:57 #297

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We don't use ropes. We just let nature take its course. Wherever the people want to go, that's fine with us. Ropes would only mess up the decore.

Re: Ticket Line Control 07 Apr 2000 20:15 #298

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Large:
We don't use ropes. We just let nature take its course. Wherever the people want to go, that's fine with us. Ropes would only mess up the decore.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same with us and we've never had any problems. We don't even have a ticket-taker.

Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg VA
www.thelyric.com

Re: Ticket Line Control 08 Apr 2000 00:00 #299

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
What to do about line jumpers?

Our box office is still out front in the recessed vestibule before you get to the front doors. Generally we have no problem, but on occasion when we have a kid show or something geared toward teens, the line jumpers do appear. All I do is memorize the people who arrive first and are at the front of the line. Then when we go out to open the box office, anyone that is now in front of them, are sent to the rear of the line. Of course, if someone jumps in the middle of the line to be with other friends, we must rely on others to report it to us. If no one tells us or complains about it we don't do anything as we don't know about it. We find that most people who jump line always seem to jump to the front.

Concerning ropes and posts, our lobby has been devided by brass posts and velor covered ropes since day one. It has always served as an effective way to devide incoming and outgoing traffic. On the contrary, they add a great deal of class to the appearance of the lobby. We still use a uniformed doorman to take tickets as well. His ticket chopper is located at the end of the posts and ropes in the outer lobby, just before you enter the grand foyer. The foyer is also devided by posts and ropes to lead patrons toward the auditorium without having to cross through the refreshment lines on the other side. On busy nights I stand just inside the foyer doors and greet the patrons and help guide them in the proper direction. Most paople seem to appreciate this, however there are always a few that want to buck the trend and go against the grain and enter through the refreshment crowd to get to the left side of the auditorium, when in fact we have a convenient cross isle immediately inside the auditorium. I will never understand why some people insist on going the most difficult way, when we go out of our way to make it easy for them.

Re: Ticket Line Control 08 Apr 2000 09:41 #300

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
We generally never have a problem with this but we sure did with Star Wars latest and we learned a good trick. We told people that if they were in line they could buy 4 tickets... in theory this meant "hold three extra seats"... but when it came time for the tiks to go on sale the three got in line then three more for each of them and they totally screwed the rest of the people who were waiting on line. So now... whenever we've got a really hot movie we hand people waiting in line a card which enables them to turn in the card and purchase two tickets: no card-no tiks.

But even sillier: our ticket window is on the sidewalk and it's at a slight angle to the street. The first person comes to the window, the next stands behind him, and so on and it's like watching chickens line up ...they'll just line straight into the street and out into the street..that's the place you find actual moving cars! We bought a velvet rope to control traffic and they look at it like it was something someone left on the sidewalk on their way into the movies. I have to step out and say.. Please swing the line down the sidewalk!

Line Cutters? well... in a small town we stand up for ourselves and there's no guns!
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction