Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice?

Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 20 Oct 2001 00:50 #2217

I love my job and the people that I work for and maybe this problem is something that I just need to take a deep breath and ignore but.....

I am having problems with the former manager of my theatre. He has bad mouthed me, my staff, the theatre, and the company to everyone in town and has even hit the smaller theatres in the surrounding towns. I generally ignore stuff like this but in a small town when a new manager is trying to make a positive name for himself and the theatre and trying to get promotions and marketing events started this kind of nonsense makes it very hard.

The bottom line is that this guy does not even know me and he lost his job and now he is out to try and ruin everything by running his mouth. It makes me very irritated and makes me feel like whats the use! My bosses have said that the theatre is well managed and is alot cleaner since I took over and even customers have noticed the improvements especially the friendliness of myself and the staff.

Maybe I am making too much of things and need to just ignore this and go on, but I wondered if anyone else out there has ever had a problem like this with a former manager and how did you go about dealing with it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 20 Oct 2001 09:13 #2218

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Just continue to do the very best job you can. Set your goals even higher and try to reach them. And guess what... the public, your patrons... will notice! What else need you do. Your actions will be the proof... either way. So hold your head up high, and prove to everyone that you are an excellent leader, knowledgeable manager, and one who is dignified in your manner and beyound reproach. In other words, don't allow yourself to go down to his level.

If you are not already, become active in community organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce, service organizations, and groups where you will meet and become involved with community leaders. This will show the community that you are concerned with more then just the theatre and will elevate your stature within the community.

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 20 Oct 2001 10:53 #2219

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
And don't forget to participate in local fairs---maybe even build a float and enter it in a parade!
Be sure to do business with local merchants (where practical).

If the old manager continues to bad mouth your business it may be time for a lawyer to get involved.

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 20 Oct 2001 22:07 #2220

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
If a potential employee tries to impress me by putting down someone or something else, I quickly thank them, shoo them out the door, and pick up the next resume. Anyone who's worth worring about will know what this bozo is up to. Don't sweat it.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 24 Oct 2001 12:12 #2221

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
It's too bad that there has to be those kinds of insecure people in the world. But like everyone has said, the patrons are the bottom line. If you keep them coming, then your reputation is safe.

Doing public service is also helpful. Maybe a fund raiser or a discount night. I wouldn't be too worried about Mr. Mouth. Most big mouths turn out to be very small people.

Stay strong and hang in there.

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 24 Oct 2001 15:30 #2222

It looks like you've received some pretty good advice from everybody who has posted a response.

The former manager sounds like someone who is of a very juvenile mindset and not the kind of person one would want managing any kind of business, let alone one that deals with the public. It seems to me that he is trying to make himself feel better by trying to make you and your theatre look bad, rather than considering what he could have done to have prevented losing his job in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about him, especially if you do everything you can do to endear yourself and your theatre to the community. Blowhards like this are usually pretty easy to spot. Sad thing is that they are usually foolish enough to be the only person who doesn't realize how silly they sound.

Re: Problems with the Old Manager...Any advice? 24 Oct 2001 16:15 #2223

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I've been in business in a small town for 23 years. What I've learned is this: anyone who spends time badmouthing people (unless it's a shared known entity) is a loser and is recognized as such by those listening to him/her. I pay no attention to that kind of junk and instead look at the broadcaster instead. Treat that stuff as a speedbump. You will be judged by your own actions.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction