Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Sad Commentary

A Sad Commentary 21 Oct 2001 00:13 #2199

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Since September 11th movie theatre attendence by families appears to be nonexistent. Not just in a slump.... but completely gone. Families have withdrawn or are "cocooning" as the psychologists say.

So what has this phenonmenon wrought at the boxoffice?...... "Don't Say A Word" "Training Day" and the vile "From Hell" rule the top of the charts. Over the years this sort of nihilistic crap has shown itself to be reviewerproof and recession proof; now it also seems to be terrorist-proof. Certainly this lesson will not be lost on those who decide what movies will get made in the future.

Those who would destroy our way of life have long been convinced that Americans are a bunch of amoral, violence-addicted junkies just waiting for their next fix from Hollywood. Sadly, we as a country seem to be doing everything we can to reinforce that stereotype.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A Sad Commentary 23 Oct 2001 09:23 #2200

Every so often a good movie comes along like "Shrek" or the upcoming "Monsters Inc." But I agree with you to some extent. But remember that most of us that view the movies you mention are able to take them for what they are and get on with our NORMAL WAY OF LIFE. However, the nihilistic crap, as you so aptly put it does way out number the family fair and I do agree that it is a sad thing to see happening.

Re: A Sad Commentary 23 Oct 2001 13:57 #2201

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I purposely stayed away from Hell and Training Day and chose Boys In Cars-Serendipity-and even The Castle but I think I chose wrong. Perhaps the type of person who likes the rougher stuff doesn't pay attention to the news? I'm looking forward to Harry and Mosters and Vanilla-Spy-Amerie-Oceans 11..etc. Sort of the way a shipwreck survisior "looks forward" to a life raft!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction