Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Box Office numbers last week
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Box Office numbers last week

Box Office numbers last week 03 Oct 2001 05:12 #2111

• Filmmaker
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm rather curious, so for those of you who aren't shy in this public forum, how were your box office numbers last week? (Friday 9/21 to Thursday 9/27) I've seen the ACNeilsen stats for LA and Manhattan, but I'm wondering what it was like for the rest of the country.

My movie did $5,241 for that week, our opening week in Manhattan. Not great numbers for NYC, but not terrible for an indie with no stars. And all the theatres there were still suffering from low attendance given what happened the week before.

What was it like around the country?

"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- New Indie Movie
www.GodSexApplePie.com
"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- In Stores Now
www.GodSexApplePie.com/in.html
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Box Office numbers last week 05 Oct 2001 13:06 #2112

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We did $8,900 on Bread & Tulips,
$4,500 on Greenfingers,
$3,200 on Down From The Mountain,
$2,000 on Deep End,
$1,700 on Ghost World,
$1,100 on Songcather.

All in all it was a $27,000 week, down a bit from the $35,000 week we had last week. But nothing to sneeze at.

Re: Box Office numbers last week 05 Oct 2001 20:36 #2113

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Large has a "town" of 150,000 people surrounding his theatre. I won't sneeze at his numbers but I'd be deriously too depressed to tell you my exact numbers. We are a small town of 6300 in a market of 17,000 heading out 15 miles. This is traditionally among the slowest of times for us.... football is tarting up and it's huge....... school dances etc. ... in any event our total ticket sales for the week was closer to 600 total. If your film did anything and you did not have the money that is required to build a buzz that is something in of it self. How are you trying to distrib the film? Why not try making a deal here?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Box Office numbers last week 09 Oct 2001 05:22 #2114

• Filmmaker
  • Fresh Boarder
Basically, my only goal for theatrical distribution was to open the movie in just a few of the major cities...New York, Chicago, LA. But given its apparent respectable performance in New York the week after the devastation, I am thinking about doing something in other cities.

And you'd be correct...we haven't had the resources to "build the buzz," though I do get a decent amount of traffic to my movie's website (100,000 to 200,000 hits per month generally). Basically it's me doing most of the promotional work, and doing grass roots kinds of things. I did have the Director come to NYC for the opening, but that ended up being pointless, given the timing. The media was doing only aftermath coverage the week we opened, so we weren't able to generate interviews and such.

When you say try making a deal here with the movie, do you mean with you & your theatre, or just in general, with other theatre owners here?

I did not contact a booker for NY or Chicago; I booked it directly with the theatres, negotiating the deal myself.
As I mentioned, I'm thinking about continuing booking this movie, given the decent B.O. in New York. I just haven't come to a decision yet...or what other cities the movie should/could be booked into.

Jerome

"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- New Indie Movie
www.GodSexApplePie.com
"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- In Stores Now
www.GodSexApplePie.com/in.html

Re: Box Office numbers last week 09 Oct 2001 10:08 #2115

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
This last month we had almost 12000 visitors. A lot of them own, run, book, or work at theatres. This is a good place for a indie film to sell/push/primp/offer their film. Not just at "my" theatre The Colonial but to all of them out there. Where's that banner? Why not write a good description of the film with links to reviews, the deal you are willing to make, etc. and post it in the forums? Best/ Mike

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction