Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Film and the Internet
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Film and the Internet

Film and the Internet 22 Sep 2001 17:38 #2024

• zolanka
  • Fresh Boarder
I need help! What is the role of the Internet in the film industry? I know about, well, advertising, creating cult-like clubs and webrings (Blair Witch), on-line exhibition, checking availability, purchasing film-related stuff, and so on. But, for example, I'm confused about digital projection and other roles and ways the Internet influences film.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Film and the Internet 23 Sep 2001 14:29 #2025

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You have touched on most of the ways the Internet is involved in the film industry. Basically it is a new way to market film. It also allows the public to receive more information on a film they are interested in. It allows us to research film in the past as well. The Internet is not a new way to watch film. Even the shorts I have seen on my computer are in no way a substitute for seeing film in a theatre. There is a vast difference between a 2-inch by 4-inch image on my computer and a 30-foot wide image in my movie theatre.

As for Digital Projection or Digital Cinema let me explain it in this way. Instead of using film in a movie theatre the industry is proposing that we use video as a replacement. The video is high definition and is delivered digitally either via satellite or on DVD. It is then stored locally on a video server, (think computer and hard-drives). It is then shown to the audience via a very expensive and very nice video projector.

The general consensus is that the equipment is too expensive for the exhibitor to buy and the technology is changing, whereas the technology of film is not changing very much. The other problem is that the industry has yet to show a digital system with the quality of good film. So it is something for the future.

Re: Film and the Internet 23 Sep 2001 14:34 #2026

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is a photograph of a very nice film projector, the Kinotone FP75.

This is a photograph of a Digital Projection digital cinema projector.

[This message has been edited by Large (edited September 23, 2001).]

Re: Film and the Internet 24 Sep 2001 14:11 #2027

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
As it has been said: "If you're not confused you don't know what's going on!" Digital cinema is a huge and ongoing tech revolution and debate where everyone is talking very loud. While there exists digital projection; the best is about as good as film (raising the why bother question) and so expensive as to make strong exhibitors week in the knees. Until the digi proj system is as good, as inexpensive, as fool proof (well..kind of), as safe, as reliable, and as understandable: it will be a long time coming to a plex near you. The "new" economy is not going to help much either!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction