Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: When It Hits Home

When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 10:51 #1984

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm still in shock and trying to struggle with what I feel. I know that although I realize what a great country the U.S. is, somehow I just don't feel as safe here as I used to.I fly in planes and have visit landmark sites through out the county. The fact that it could have been me up there and that in the future it could happen again is a very sober pill to swollow. To think about what can be done in the future to make the airports a more secure place is a mute point. The horse is already out of the barn. Why do we always need a tragedy to wake up?
The topic has been locked.

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 13:03 #1985

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I flew out of Portland, Maine the day before from the same airport where some of the terrorists boarded the next morning. It appears many of them staged through Maine. I rented a car in Phila and went to Wilmington, Delaware for a series of business meetings. I walked into one at 9:00 to see the second plane crash into the tower. We held the meeting. Then I had to make a presentation to 20 top state and city officials at 12:00 and really had to suck it up to get it done.I felt like I was mouthing the most frivolus and worthless words. So there I was in Delaware without a chance of getting home so I kept my Avis mobile and gave NYC a wide berth and drove the 14 hours home. I am crushed, horrified, and in shock but I wish I could say I was surprised but I am not. I never underestimate a sick mind and this is as bad as it gets. As I drove I felt like I was in a funeral procession as I listened to the radio. At one point, I can't remember what set it off, I pulled over and cried. My heart is broken for humanity. The eeriest moment was walking down a empty motel corridor at midnight and hearing the news on TV coming from under every door. It's hard to think of any of this business and vocation stuff. We'll come back, all of us, our country, and the world. This horriffic act that changes everything in our lives. We can't begin to imagine how much this is true. To all of you.... Hang in there, grieve, be strong, believe. Best/ Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 13:11 #1986

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Shortly after it all started, I received a call from the guy who owns the art cinema about 60 miles south of me. He wanted to know if I was going to be open the evening of the tragedy. Of course I was going to be open. Running a theater is what I do and what most of us do. As with pretty much everybody here, I can all tell stories of being sick with no replacement, and lying under the projector, trying not to pass out between change-overs. I’ve watched a parent die and ran the show the next day. I had to have my cell phone taken away from me in the ER so I wouldn’t call the theater and make sure the help got there. And so on . . . . All that pales in comparison to the least affected NYer. If they can look at a skyline missing it’s two front teeth, punched out in the most inhumane and deadly fashion, then I can turn on the neon open sign, pop some popcorn, and offer people a place to be for a couple hours without live coverage blasting from every corner. I can't be in there helping to remove rubble, but I can be part of life going on in my community. It's the best I can do.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 13:37 #1987

• Mike
  • Administrator
Bless you, man. You said it. We're open too. We're not happy about life right now but we're open.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 14:18 #1988

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
I had a 9:10am flight yesterday out to the GSTC in Kalispell, I was in line to board the plane when my girlfriend called my cell phone frantically yelling at me to get off the plane, I stepped out of line, once she found out I was on the ground she calmed down a bit and explained what was happening, needless to say I was shocked, I found a TV monitor just in time to watch the 2nd plane strike the WTC.

I have another flight next Monday, to San Jose, CA, I'm going to have mixed emotions if we decide to make the trip.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families that have lost loved ones, life as we know it in the U.S. I'm afraid has changed forever.

Greg Borr
Ready Theatre Systems

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 17:01 #1989

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We thought about closing but we didn't. We didn't have much attendence yesterday but those who came, all said the same thing; "I just had to get away from my television."

Re: When It Hits Home 12 Sep 2001 22:11 #1990

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Yes we were open Tuesday evening as well, for all the same reasons listed by others.
I've dug out my National Anthem trailer and it will be onscreen before each show.

Re: When It Hits Home 13 Sep 2001 10:42 #1991

It is horrific, and saddens us all, but we will get through this and we will become a stronger nation for it.

Re: When It Hits Home 13 Sep 2001 12:21 #1992

• Mike
  • Administrator
I ran into a friend today who told me her cousin was one of the three people from Maine who was on board one the flights out of Boston. As the names come out we'll all find ourselves closer to this tragedy than we'd ever wished. Stay safe.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: When It Hits Home 02 May 2011 17:57 #35895

• Mike
  • Administrator
written the last couple days after 9-11. Good riddance to Osama.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction