Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby All Those Film Fests!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: All Those Film Fests!

All Those Film Fests! 31 Aug 2001 10:34 #1960

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
I'm really getting confused with all the film festivals that are going on. Can anyone give me a direction? Which are the best one to attend? Is it worth all the traveling? I can't wrap my mind around it and need advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: All Those Film Fests! 02 Sep 2001 16:41 #1961

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am currently working my 12th Telluride Film Festival. Film Festivals are a growing business and it seems as though everybody has one. Sonoma County California, where I live, has two of them.

The Telluride Film Festival has been going on Labor Day weekend for 28 years now. It is America's most important film festival for people who simply love film. It isn't as big as Toronto or Sundance, but here the film makers mingle with the patrons because they are all here for the love of film.

I am here because it is the social event of my year.

Friday

Well, I have been in Telluride for 5 days and the Festival has started.

I am stationed at the new theatre The Galaxy. It is decorated in an over the top 19th century, Jules Vern style. It has great sound and stadium seating. I met Howie Moshovitz and he asked me what the space was used for the rest of the year. So convincing is the decor that he couldn't tell that it was an elementary gymnasium.

I have now seen out the booth window, Peter Bagdanovich, Kirsten Dunst, Edward Herrmann, and Salman Rushdie. Tomorrow I may meet Faye Dunaway.

One of the Tributes is to Catherine Breillat who did the explicit film called Romance. I saw her clip show and the tribute is supposed to shed light in to this difficult subject matter. She brought a new film called The Fat Girl.

I have seen a French comedy called Amelie that everybody loved. There was much laughter. I say Peter Bagdanovich's new film called The Cat's Meow. It is about William Randolph Hearst and a murder he was involved in. It is a beautiful costume drama that may appeal to our older crowd. But it is a little heavy handed and my play better on HBO.

We showed a black comedy called Mo Man's Land that is set in Bosnia during the war. I didn't get a good feel for this film. Those are the perils of projecting them and trying to follow along from the projection booth.

Tonight is the first night I have had an early evening. It looks as though I will be in bed by 11:30 PM.

Saturday

Yesterday we had a clip show called The Ultimate DVD Show. It was very lightly attended. It involved showing 28 DVD clips to the audience via a Sound Rack with 7 DVD players, a Beta SP, a Digi Beta, Laserdisc and VHS. I named the rack "The Bitch" My job was to feed the bitch.

Such was the confidence of our chief projectionist that he took the evening off and watched some films.

Last night was the 9th meeting of the Benevolent Order of Retsina Drinkers. As I am a 6 year member I did my best to hold up the tradition. But alas I left the bacchanalia early (2:40 AM) and returned to my condo. I have to be at a photo shoot at 8:20 AM and run the first film. But it is Forgotten Disney so it should be fun.

I am up 7 t-shirts, 6 hats, 4 DVDs and a book of Harold Lloyd's 3-D Hollywood Photos.

Here's hoping I can focus my eyes and the projector.

Tomorrow, hopefully, photos.

Ian
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction