Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Web hosting and domain
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Web hosting and domain

Web hosting and domain 18 Aug 2001 19:46 #1948

Who's the best company to use for hosting, and to get a domain? Any cheap, reliable companies?

Andy
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Web hosting and domain 19 Aug 2001 09:36 #1949

Thats one of those who knows questions. there a local providers that host and national providers. just look around and see who is the cheapest

Re: Web hosting and domain 19 Aug 2001 19:06 #1950

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
http://networksolutions.com/en_US/;jsessionid=3OI1RBFQMP25VWFI3EGCFEQ?_requestid=2937982

hosts are everywhere...... but for domains you go the keeper... click above..... it's fast and furious.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Web hosting and domain 20 Aug 2001 07:30 #1951

• Filmmaker
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Andy,

I highly recommend HostMatters.com. Before I launched my website, I spent a couple weeks researching hosts, particularly since there's A LOT of horror stories out there of people who get scr*%#$ over by various hosts. (Once your site starts generating traffic, you never want your host's server to go down. If they do, you're losing traffic. And since it's a hassle to switch hosts once you've built your site....well, everyone hopes whoever they choose is the right one because of this.)

Anyways, I narrowed the field down from a good 20 to about 2 or 3, and ended up going with HostMatters. I have been very happy, have had NO problems. They have fast servers (as I checked the ping, tracer route, etc.), and the 2 women who run it are extremely responsive to their customers' needs. My rare email requests are answered within hours. They are competitively priced, their TOS (terms of service) are fine. Beware of the host that does not post their TOS on their website. READ through it thoroughly and get questions answered.

Lastly, test any host you might go with, not only diagnostically, but customer service-wise. Email questions and see how long it takes them to get back to you. Within one day: Good. 2 Days: Not great. 3 Days: Run!

One last thing you can do. Hang out in the webhost forums for a few days...ask questions...figure out what you need in your site so you can make sure your web host will be able to provide what you need.

Good luck.

Jerome

"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- New Indie Movie opening in New York City http://www.GodSexApplePie.com
"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- In Stores Now
www.GodSexApplePie.com/in.html

Re: Web hosting and domain 29 Aug 2001 09:11 #1952

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Andrew,
I've used several different "hosting services" over the last two years and I have finally settled down with one I am very comfortable with. I use "bizland.com" for all of my web-site hosting. They have several different packages dependending on the level of service you need. The one I chose gave me 35mb of site storage space, Frontpage server extensions, NO pop-ups or annoying banner ads, and all for about $65.00 a year. So far, my web-site has nver been down due to a technical error - as far as I know. We generate about 30-60 hits a week. Pretty good traffic I think for a web-site for a drive movie theatre that still resembles a corn field.

I bought my domain name through "www.alldomains.com" about 2 1/2 years ago, but there are cheaper places to get them now.

Hope this helps,

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
www.stardustdrivein.com
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: Web hosting and domain 29 Aug 2001 12:13 #1953

• chris
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Andy,

It's tough to find a good company that
has everything you need. Sometimes you find a good one and the next thing they get bought out by some huge company and the tech support goes out the window as the prices get jacked.
I use superb.net now and I'm satisfied. In addition to my own few pages I "sublet" my space and services (web & email) to others.
Check out my no nonsence prices at http://www.techteam.net/

Good luck,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew McCrea:
<B>Who's the best company to use for hosting, and to get a domain? Any cheap, reliable companies?

Andy</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction