Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Be carefull what you wish for!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Be carefull what you wish for!

Be carefull what you wish for! 04 Aug 2008 17:12 #19315

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
After 1 year with a 90 % increase of admissions if I had to do it all over again i would not.I love my theater but i can not deal with the film co..The higher the grosss the more they treat us like ****.Now that we are a player the BIG 2 theater chains want our pictures and it is a fight to the death every week ....

So after waiting 18 years for a theater i can say it sucks most of the time...Every week it is a fight till it makes you sick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 04 Aug 2008 18:55 #19316

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
ahh geez/ why the long face? Hang in there. How far are you from the competition?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 04 Aug 2008 22:42 #19317

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
CARMIKE 8---1.5 MILES

THEN I HAVE IN 5 TO 10 MILE
REGAL 11
REGAL 16
REGAL 18
INDI 6
15 MILES --REGAL 16--CINEMARK 8

I DONT CARE ABOUT ALL THE THEATERS. THE FACT IS THEY AR E NOW GOING AFTER MOVIES THEY WOLD NEVER PLAY BECAUSE OUR GROSSES ARE SO GOOD.We have allways been an EXCLUSIVE HOUSE..80 % OF OUR PICTURES COME TO US FIRST..

....SONY CLASSICS I TOOK OFF SERVICE..LOL..BET YOU NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE... IN THE LAST YEAR THEY HAVE NOT ONCE GIVEN ME A PICTURE ON THE DATE THEY SAID...

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 05 Aug 2008 09:22 #19318

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just wait till they make you an offer to "buy you out"! That's what has happened to me. I own the local drive-in, and the new indoor theatre in town (15 miles away) have offered to buy our theatre twice. It makes you mad in a way, but at the same time you kind of like it because you know somebody is noticing your grosses. We have "respectfully declined" their offer both times.

I took us five years to figure out "How to build a drive-in", took another five years to figure out "How to run it". Now that we're finally making money on the thing, there's no way I'm selling. I want to see what the potential can bring.

Slap, do you book your own or have a booker? I have a booker so I've never personally dealt with the film companies. He does the "wheeling and dealing", I just play'em.

I enjoy meeting and greeting the customers, having the ability to give back a little to the community, and each year we watch our numbers go up and up.

Hang in there.....

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 05 Aug 2008 10:24 #19319

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
At some point you have to fight. If you are being screwed play hard ball. Go over their heads. Call their boss in LA. Call the state district attorney about restraint of fair trade. Hire an attorney and let them go at it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 05 Aug 2008 11:30 #19320

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I would imagine that a rural theater with no competition would have a lot fewer headaches. Life is too short to be constantly fighting battles. Owning your own theater should be FUN!
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 06 Aug 2008 08:44 #19321

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I tell my staff and customers that any business has to be a win-win for the business and the customer. Unfortunately we have very little power to make the studios hold up their end of the bargain on too many occasions. The whole digital issue seems to be proving this point as well.

My turn to rant:
Now that move-over season is fast approaching for us seasonal first-runs, we have to deal with: Waiting until Tuesday to find out what you will get 3 days later; since I am still new spending a 4-5% fee to wire money so you can get the print; not recieving any trailers; not receiving any posters; having very little idea when/what will be your next movie.

A move-over customer is a highly profitable (on a % basis) as that print of the film is already paid for. 100% of the film rental should drop to the studio's bottom line. Just work with us a little better.

Question: For Pineaple Express, there are a decent amount of multi-plexes having multiple prints. I would think that none of these really need multiples on the 3rd week, so why not let us know now that we can have a print beginning in week 3? I will even drive 2 hours one way to pick it up. I know we don't deserve a print of this on the break, but certainly do at the beginning of the third week.

[This message has been edited by rufusjack (edited August 06, 2008).]

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 06 Aug 2008 08:52 #19322

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll second that, rufusjack. I'm fighting for trailers now. No luck on Journey or Dark Knight yet. It's not all roses for us rural one-screeners. But, at least I can avoid the stinkers like Love Guru and Meet Dave.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 06 Aug 2008 09:45 #19323

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
I will agree with some of this as well. It has been harder and harder to get commits from the studios. Basically I feel they are holding me out on the pic I want so I dont commit to another flick. Case in point, I have played 4 WB movies this summer on the break, but somehow I wasnt in the 'marketing plan' for Clone Wars, and did not get a print. What sort of Bull&*& is that? Of course they dont tell me that until yesterday. So now I have to move off and try to find something else.

Posters forget it, I rarely get them but I rarely care and I never play trailers because I refuse to advertise content that I am not playing, and since they can never commit until 4 days from release...well you get the picture.....

This year seems to have been exceptionally tough with the studios. Threats of removal of service for being slow on numbers, no ability to split even with the same studio. Checkers in my place every weekend.

I gave WB a ton of business this season and in return I got a ton of grief.

Roger Detzler
IOKA Entertainment Inc

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 06 Aug 2008 11:59 #19324

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
One thing that I have discovered in my 40 plus years in this business..... the more successful a studio is (meaning having a string of hits in a row) the more difficult that studio becomes to deal with. It almost breeds a sort of arrogance.

Case in point. I used to like doing business with New Line. Then they got Elf and the Lord of the Rings pictures and all of a sudden became impossible to deal with.

Although I hate to admit it, I secretly wish for each studio to periodically have a period when it has a run of duds just so they don't get too swelled a head.

BTW if you think Warners has been difficult to deal with in the past ..... just wait now that Dark Night has been such a success.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 00:25 #19325

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
To make matters worse have you seen the release slate for Dec. 19 and Dec. 25? By my count 6 major wide releases! Last year 3-4.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 00:53 #19326

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I know this varies by region, but we've had a pretty even year with the studios. The last year or two, it seemed there was always one studio or another that had their noses up a bit high, but it's been pretty decent this season.

On booking, I know some people really like the process... but not me. I'm with Barry on this one. I want to enjoy running the place. Spending a day or two each week, fighting over film would put a pretty big damper on the fun.

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 12:29 #19327

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
If you are in a competative market area and doing your own booking, you are probably putting yourself at a disadvantage by not using a booker.

It may not be fair or nice, but the theatres with the most screens or locations are going to get preferential treatment from the studios, despite which locations gross more or who has the most seats.

Studios have the right to choose who they want to do business with, or in some cases who they do not. It's their sandbox, and we're lucky if we get to play in it.

By using a booking agency, I have someone to represent my interests who brings more to the table than just my meager screens. They have a long-term business relationship with each studio, and by reperesnting more locations, it is more likely that my interests will be heard, and less likely that my interests will get kicked to the curve.

In a non-competative market, it probably does not matter as much. If you are competing against a big theatre chain without using a booker, you are probably making the situation worse if you think you can do as good of a job on your own.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Transit Drive in (edited August 07, 2008).]
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 12:35 #19328

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
I use a booker ..or i would be out of this bsns..

Re: Be carefull what you wish for! 07 Aug 2008 19:49 #19329

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Bookers vary widely as to how much effort they'll go through in a client's interest.

I've had a booker, who basically took what he was given, including his booking fee, and told me "that's the way it is". I had that booker while a VERY aggressive booker for another theatre was kicking my butt. I eventually learned enough to change that situation. The old booker was/is a very nice person, but nice alone just doesn't cut it in that business.

So... maybe just having a booker isn't necessarily enough in a market where a little more "pavement pounding" might be needed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction