Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: web design software

web design software 05 Aug 2008 02:47 #19281

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
For those of you doing your own websites, what software are you using? What do you like or dislike about it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: web design software 05 Aug 2008 08:09 #19282

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
as a consumer of websites I think: hire the professionals. If not I would use the godaddy, etc. Why reinvent the wheel unless you are a gifted wheel builder?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: web design software 05 Aug 2008 09:11 #19283

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have used Microsoft Frontpage for years. It's nothing fancy, my website doesn't incorporate alot of "flashy" crap, and it gets the information to the customer.

It's very easy to use, not that expensive, and I can update my website on a moments notice as many times as I need and/or want to.

Being an independant theatre owner, I've been told (by my better half), that I'm somewhat of a control freak when it comes to the website. I like the fact of having the ability to make whatever changes I want, and not just being able to edit certain fields, or worse... relying on someone else to make the changes for me.

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: web design software 05 Aug 2008 11:20 #19284

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I would never rely on someone else to update my site. Heck, it only takes less than 5 minutes to do it yourself. Some of the free templates that are available today are extremely nice, so you don't have to be a web designer to have a great looking site.

I've used both Dreamweaver and FrontPage for years and Dreamweaver beats FrontPage in just about every aspect. It's easier to use, is more WYSIWYG, and FrontPage uploads are finicky. You can download a free trial version of Dreamweaver to try it out prior to purchasing. But then again, I'm biased... anything non-Microsoft is already better!

If you're going to go at it yourself, I recommend using Hostgator.com as your host. They have the most features/bandwidth/disk space for the buck, they are very cheap ($4.95/mo), and they have great customer service (which is getting rare) with live chat. Many professional web designers use Hostgator. Plus, if you ever move your site to another host, they use cPanel, which is the most universal control panel for easy transferring of your data.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: web design software 05 Aug 2008 13:54 #19285

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have used front page for years. I update it all the time myself. Since it is going out of service I was thinking of looking at other products.

I have seen some services out there who look like they can do a good job at your website. They interface with your POS to pickup the show times and even put the posters on your website with the times.

I am not sure I could give up the control becase I have a lot of other info on my site about the theatre and other activities which I like to keep updated. I have had one person they check my website for when there is an event downtown because I normally have it mentioned on my site. AS I expand the business I need more time and the website is becomeing a burdon. I hope one of my kids will take it over.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction