Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Possible to grow "R" rated business?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Possible to grow "R" rated business?

Possible to grow "R" rated business? 30 Jul 2008 22:04 #19261

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
We have played 70 movies since we opened up Nov 1 2006 (was 2 screens, now 3). Only 3 have been "R" rated. (only 1 on the break, needless to say we have not done too well with it).

So...is it possible to grow that segment of the business over time by keeping at least 1 film (whenever no huge non "R" rated movies are available of course)? Most would be on a move-over basis.

I also believe that our PG-13 business suffers sometimes as well because we do not do very well with the 15-25 year olds as we are seen by many as to only to play kid movies.

So, is it possible?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Possible to grow "R" rated business? 31 Jul 2008 14:42 #19262

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It's really up to film distribs and the films they make. Tropic Thunder will be R and it will do well. Only a few years ago there were a lot more R and Pg-13 films that should have been R and people really got sick of it. It put us smack in the middle as many of the pics were made for young teens and were way too raunchy for them. We play it if it's good and in demand. No Country For Old Men? Etc. Play good films and try to cover the spread.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Possible to grow "R" rated business? 31 Jul 2008 17:12 #19263

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Mike, So what you are saying is no? The studios have more sway into where customers go to see movies? or......
Maybe I confused you.

We do very well with kid/family stuff vs selected peers (meaning we gross more). On the (15-25 year old targeted stuff-Iron Man, Hancock, Transformers) we do less than our peers. On "R" rated material even less.

There will always be pg-13 stuff targeted toward the 15-25 year olds. The amount of "R" stuff will flow up and down.

So...when there is nothing wide to play, and we have the choice between a lighter-PG-13 not as much taregted toward the 15-25 year olds vs a PG-13 or R rated targeted toward that demographic (which spends the most money)....can we grow that business?

So when Iron Man 2 comes, we can do better with that demographic? Maybe even get an "R"rated movie on the break and deserve it?

Re: Possible to grow "R" rated business? 31 Jul 2008 20:24 #19264

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think it's really a matter of how many screens you have. If you have only one screen, the occasional R picture will close one or two weeks to the largest demographic group of ticket buyers (the kids). Never running an R picture guarantees that nobody will expect you to (read: empty auditorium if you do).

We have 3 screens here, so I can promote a balanced clientele. An R can run on one or two screens, and I still have one to play a lower-rated picture on. In my mind, it's having more than one screen on-site that gives you the flexibility to run just about whatever you want.

Re: Possible to grow "R" rated business? 31 Jul 2008 21:48 #19265

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
We play most R rated and PG -13 ...A G picture for us is the kiss of death unless it is a documentry.

Re: Possible to grow "R" rated business? 04 Aug 2008 12:33 #19266

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Yah... and see how theatres can be different? We just dropped Wall-E... rated G, and did great out here.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction