Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fundraiser

Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 13:41 #19219

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
Talked about this before in here but we are not going full force with this idea for my nonprofit group. Called the theater and will be talking to someone else today. Talked to a gentleman at Swank today also regarding obtaining a copy of It's A Wonderful Life for Late Nov, Early Dec. Hollywood Classics seems to have a digital format of this so I emailed them as well. Question is, are these fundraisers worth it? We are using money put aside for us to do this fundraiser, still have about 1200 left to spend by years end. Gentleman at Swank informed me that, if we charge admission, the film will be $600 or half of the amount that is made. Is this worth it? Say we go in the red? We are also putting out a place in the lobby to accept donations but our group not very well known around the community. Any suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 14:40 #19220

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe that Paramount had new 35mm film prints of Its A Wonderful Life made a couple of years ago and booking through them would probably be a better deal than Swank.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited July 24, 2008).]

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 14:52 #19221

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
And would they still charge the 50% of admissions fee?

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 15:09 #19222

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Not sure.

I thought the percentage on the Paramount stuff (which included White Christmas, Top Gun, Raiders and some other classic titles) was $250.00 vs. 35% whichever was higher. However I haven't booked anything like this for a couple of years so the deals may have changed.

Maybe you should check with RoxyVaudeville. I think he played it through Paramount last Xmas if I am not mistaken.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited July 24, 2008).]

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 17:05 #19223

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Call Chrissy at 818-380-7818. She works in Paramount Repatory. I just spoke to her about getting a print in Michigan. It is $250 or 35% for 1 to 3 days and $350 or 35% for 4 to 7 days. Paramounts website says they have new prints available. If you decide to do this, you will want to book soon as available prints will become scarce.

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 19:01 #19224

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
REally not sure how much money a fundraiser like this would make. I am thinking $5 for admissions. A insurance firm did a similar gig for Casablanca here a few years ago. It was packed but admission and snacks were free. They basically did it to get customers. We are not wanting to get customers but instead, get support/new members. Thing is though, the money that we would use to do this is state money specifically to be used for things like this, not from our funds in general. If we don't use it, it goes bye bye. So, even if it is a bust, I am not really too concerned.

Was thinking though, what would be more profitable, Wonderful Life close to Christmas or Goldfinger at or around the time of the release of the next Bond? Or maybe someone has some other suggestions. Trying to do something which is not too dirty since we are representing the group

Re: Fundraiser 24 Jul 2008 19:37 #19225

• JoshG
  • Senior Boarder
Looking around on the internet, I have seen that some organizations have even been able to hold fundraisers by premiering popular films before they open (Da Vinci Code, Troy, Happy Feet). How pheasible is it to premiere a film for a fundraiser? I am guessing, with new digital technology, it is easier than one might think

Re: Fundraiser 25 Jul 2008 12:59 #19226

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Question somewhat related, on older films can you get/play DVD versions on your digi setup and still book thru the classics depts. and not Swank etc...

Example is if you look at the lists from Paramount or Sony, they only have maybe 1/3 listed as "Prints Avail" so why would they even bother to mention the rest if they would not allow it to be played from other formats?

Thanks!

tony.

Re: Fundraiser 25 Jul 2008 13:37 #19227

• Larry Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Generally, yes. However, I have found that Sony and Disney/Miramax will not allow theatrical bookings from DVD.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction