Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby 3-D for the little guy
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3-D for the little guy

3-D for the little guy 18 Jul 2008 15:19 #19138

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
With all the great product coming out in 3-D does anyone know how we (a small 5 screen theatre) can get one 3-D screen and one digital projector to be able to take advantage of those movies? Do we have to switch everything over at once or can we do it slowly? Any help is greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3-D for the little guy 18 Jul 2008 18:12 #19139

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Great question.

Will Fly To The Moon be even available in 2d? Would you want it like that?

Or how about getting some studios to also let you have the digital copy (w.o the VPF) for us theaters who do not always have access to everything due to film costs?

Re: 3-D for the little guy 18 Jul 2008 18:30 #19140

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
HUH???

Re: 3-D for the little guy 18 Jul 2008 18:52 #19141

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Slap is that a respnse to me? Which paragragh?

Re: 3-D for the little guy 18 Jul 2008 21:38 #19142

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
LOL....you lost me on that one........

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 00:42 #19143

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
This isn't really a response to the question, but a comment on "Fly Me to the Moon". The trailer came in the can of Wall-E, so the studio assumes it will play at alot of theatres that don't even have 3-D. I did not know this was a 3-D movie until I saw the trailer. I pulled it from my programming so as not to advertise for something I would not even be playing. If it is going to be in 2-D, then they need to change the trailer--it touts 3-D throughout.

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 08:32 #19144

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
NATO believes the big push for 3D is an attempt to ram digital cinema through and get people to sign up and buy without going through the CBG and having to pay VPFs. Wouldn't suprise me. Isn't Bolt going to be 3D as well? That was attached to WallE.
"What a crazy business"

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 08:48 #19145

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
My understanding is that "Fly Me To The Moon" will be a limited theatrical release for digital 3D theatres only.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited July 19, 2008).]

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 12:49 #19146

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Slap,

I too would like to run 3d.

Since I am the seasonal first run theater, there will be no VPF program available to me (CBG or any other).

I would be willing to buy my own equipment myself if: 1) I could run 3d, and 2) I could have more movies available to me during the slow seasons.

More movies: How many times have us small fish been told that we can't have a movie b/c our film rental will not cover the film costs? If the cost to make that film available to me in digital is just a couple of hundred dollars at most, then it should make good sense for the studios to give me that movie. Good for the studios.

I will have my customers attention 365 days a year since I probably have new stuff every week. Unfortunately, your customers stop paying attention to you if you have nothing new after 4-6 weeks. We have had customers not realize we have those first big titles of each season after we have had nothing for a while. Good for me as I hope to see increase revenue.

Now, on those 3000+ location titles, we should get something in return for having digital. Lower film rental would be okay for me.

Slap, understand my thinking?

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 14:26 #19147

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
American Cinema Supply (Portland, OR.) has sold digital cinema equipment to a number of indies, as has Claco, in Utah.

Getting the equipment isn't the problem. Fitting the cost into your business model, is. If you can make the numbers work, there's no reason you can't have digital in your booth, as far as I know.

Just be prepared to roll with the conditions you're faced with. There doesn't appear to be much wiggle room for negotiation. You'll either buy from a short list, or not... whether you get VPFs, or not (and it'll probably be 'not').

Remember to study all maintenance and recurring licensing fees carefully. Most of this stuff, especially 3D, comes with ongoing fingers in your wallet.

As far as I know, the studios have held firm to their distribution policies. I can't think of any cases where I've heard a digital system resulted in better acquisition of titles. If you're having trouble getting the pictures you want, nothing I've heard indicates that a digital projector will change that for you.

For me, it all boils down to a few questions, none of which involves the availailability of the technology or the supply of content. At the outset, I'm discounting "alternative content" as something that would bring in more than occasional pocket change... and remember that with a CBG-based installation, you have to pay percentages on alternate content, too.

1. Will digital result in noticeably better presentation quality over my average use of a film print (usually no more than 4 weeks)?

2. Can I have digital at a price that's within screaming distance of my present film-based system, and if not, will increased business to my digital screens offset the added cost?

3. If the answer to 2 is 'no', Is the competitive environment in my town such that I can offset the cost by effectively using digital as a long-term marketing tool, even if there are no other financial benefits?

4. Would I be better off, buying digital now, rather than wait for the technology to settle down... that, or wait for a used market to possibly emerge?

5. If I go further, and add 3D to my digital system, will the ongoing costs (glasses, licensing, maintenance) be offset by substantial financial return and goodwill, or am I taking money away from my family, and my airplane?

6. Given that big chains, like Regal, AMC and the like, haven't successfully financed and implemented a global conversion to digital, do I know something that they don't, making me smarter and therefore justifying the purchase of digital before they use their big-bucks deep pockets to get the kinks worked out?

7. Is there any way I can possibly overcome the above, put in digital and break even... much less make a profit?

So far, I can't say "yes" to any of it... at least not yet.

What tips the balance for you?

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited July 19, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited July 19, 2008).]

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 18:56 #19148

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder

"As far as I know, the studios have held firm to their distribution policies. I can't think of any cases where I've heard a digital system resulted in better acquisition of titles. If you're having trouble getting the pictures you want, nothing I've heard indicates that a digital projector will change that for you."

Are there any seasonal first run theaters out there that have any digital equipment?

I believe their might be some room for improvement here. A couple of studios I talked to about this subject said they believe their could be more access. A couple of more said maybe and a couple said no way. The ones that said no way, i do not think understood what if no VPF was being paid.

If we are asking for movies w/o VPFs in situation where we would not with film......I believe this is a situaion where this scenario has not been discussed much yet at the studio level b/c they are dealing with the bigfish first.

Otherwise Batman in the year 2013 will not have 4300 locations to play at.

Re: 3-D for the little guy 19 Jul 2008 23:53 #19149

• elvislvr
  • Senior Boarder
I think my original intention may have gotten lost in the wording of my question. I am a 5 screen theatre in a town that has 2 multi-plexes and both are able to show 3-D movies. I want to be able to serve my customers that want to come to my theatre to see the 3-D movies and the special "Hannah Montana" concerts etc. As I understand it, the future holds many more 3-D movies that I will have to pass on because I don't have the capability, thus losing out on business. Because I am only a 5 screen I don't have a problem getting the product I want, I just want to be able to have one of my theatres 3-D & digital capable.

Re: 3-D for the little guy 20 Jul 2008 06:30 #19150

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Well then, you should call American Cinema, and/or Claco, and see what they can do for you. If you've got the money, either of them can take you digital.

Re: 3-D for the little guy 22 Jul 2008 20:57 #19151

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Digitial and 3D movies are not going to be released as all thought they would. Becasue of the Economy.
If you look many of the big chains only have one digital projector per multiplex.
Alot of the mpovies that were suposed to be in Digital #D are going to be released in 3D also casue of lack of interest in the 3d.
It was looked at the new wave an all excitement was built around it but as the past 3D is a gimick. Yes it it alot better than thre blue and green glasses but alot of patrons still complain it is fuzzy and annoying.
So the studios are getting nervous and going back and releasing both ways.
Digital is not taking off liek everyone thought it was a film will be around alot longer than they said!
So dont worry if your not digital it is not happening like it was supposed to.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction