Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Going Ape

Going Ape 27 Jul 2001 12:30 #1913

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
I've been reading some bad things about "Planet of the Apes" and have seen it rated as low as C-. With all the air time given to the trailers I had really hoped for more then this. Opening Friday this could be a blow out for movie goers. Let's hope for the best and that everyone is going ape.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Going Ape 30 Jul 2001 16:02 #1914

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I saw it on Saturday night and I felt it delivered. Could it have been better? Sure.So what...... Tim Burton is clearly better on closeups and "in close" than with big wide open spaces. Compare the swamp to the desert scenes. You appreciate the old John Wayne cavalry charge stuff even more after a weak ape attack.. but all in all it worked for me. And I liked the ending. I wonder if they're planning a sequel?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Going Ape 10 Aug 2001 10:11 #1915

Saw it and it was a disappointment. The beginng was promising, a new slant, new ideas. Halfway through the movie in became clear that this was a bailout but for a short time I found myself believing that the ending could hold a at least a glint of promise. But, that fizzled out fast. Perhaps the most interesting scenes where those that featured the cameo with Charlton Heston talking about the superiority of humans with guns. I don't think this will ever rank as one of Mr. Burton's finest films.

Re: Going Ape 11 Aug 2001 01:04 #1916

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I played it for two weeks and never watched it. Not my kind of movie. But, it was my highest grosser ever!
Countin' cash up here in the mountains of Northern Calif!

Re: Going Ape 16 Aug 2001 11:50 #1917

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
But it did end up holding it's own and bringing in the heads. I love those furry little critters.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Going Ape 16 Aug 2001 14:20 #1918

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I thought Hellena Bonna Carter looked really cool. I saw it at the Odeon Drive-In and thought that it used to many dark scenes for th drive-in. The screen was constantly dark.

As for the movie, it failed. The beginning was okay, but I don't think the ending really worked out. Maybe if he left the Planet Of The Apes and accidently went to a different planet with apes running it, it would of worked out, maybe!

The part when he lands on earth before he left and it's already controlled by apes, doesn't make sense.

Maybe they should have bummped the opening date later, so they didn't rush finishing it.

Andy
Since 1987

Re: Going Ape 17 Aug 2001 12:06 #1919

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I thought it worked fine. Leaving Thade alive in a sealed spaceship command module was the big mistake. Obviously he did not die, was not isolated, and even expanded out to take over Earth. As they say, "When you go to kill the King make danged sure you splatter his gray matter around in all the corners. And don't forget the ceiling."Was it like having my first lover or winning the lottery? Nope. These films are marketed as if they were the cure for cancer and cannot fail to disappoint.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction