Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby can you cancel a show without notice to film distrib?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: can you cancel a show without notice to film distrib?

can you cancel a show without notice to film distrib? 07 Jul 2008 10:29 #18995

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We have had to do it for various rasons: electricty lost, snow, etc. There has never been a problem. We also do not show films on Christmas day: no problem. In my opinion and experience the distribs are fairly accomodating on this but do not forget that they are in business and they want the film on screen. If your theatre is in flames they are fine. But should they find that you have pulled their film to do something else on that screen: even your kids shadow puppet show: be prepared for incoming.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: can you cancel a show without notice to film distrib? 07 Jul 2008 12:11 #18996

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You should check your master license or discuss this with your booker (if you use one).

My last read was that a booking gives the studio that week's percentages for a (the) screen, under the assumption you really are playing their film. If you pull a performance for something else, the contract gives them the right to apply the going percentage to whatever you put in its place... plus, I'd imagine, whatever you'd wind up paying to the company that actually did own that film.

This might not be such a big deal, once you get past first-run, but I'm not sure about that. On the other hand, everyone knows that a lot of promotional irregularities happen in the sub-runs, and the studios don't appear to care much. The fact that they could, if they wanted to, seems to control most of it.

The other variable is that screens are frequently split in subsequent weeks, supposedly with the permission of the studio, so it's a fact that not every performance is always dedicated to one film.

Re: can you cancel a show without notice to film distrib? 07 Jul 2008 17:51 #18997

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you let the studios/distribs/bookers know about things ahead of time that a particular screen will have some other activity going on then they should be fine with that. And your advertising should make clear that movie "title" will not play on day "x" at time "x" due to event "title" occuring instead.

Of course a cancelled or lost show due to say a diode blowing in the xenon rectifier or gear stripping in the projector can happen and the studios should understand.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction