Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: flood!

flood! 10 Jun 2008 11:39 #18886

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
This theater sits on the banks of the Turkey river in Northeast Iowa. This river normally has a depth of about six feet here but yesterday it topped over 30 feet!. Needless to say I got quite a bit of water in the basement. No water made it to the auditorium level (thank goodness) but the whole town is in a whole bunch of turmoil. About two dozen homes are up to their second level and might end up being bulldozed after this is all over. I will most likely lose the furnace for the lobby, a water heater and lots of stock (popcorn tubs, cups, lids, etc etc etc). I called Universal and told them I was done as of last night with my current movie (Baby Mama). The flood waters are on the way down now. Should I reopen on Friday?? I have Iron Man booked and I think people really want to see it but I'm worried that with all of the town dealing with flood things that it will bomb. What do you think?
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: flood! 10 Jun 2008 12:17 #18887

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
stay closed one week ...you will die when it is that kind of big deal going on..

do you have flood insurance?
YOU MUST, MUST, MUST GET A COMPANY IN TO GET RID OF ALL THE WATER AND WITH FANS...DO THIS WORK BEFORE YOU REOPEN......

TAKE A DEEP BREATH......IT WILL BE HARD FOR A FEW WEEKS .....

Re: flood! 10 Jun 2008 15:16 #18888

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hi leeler!

I didn't know you were up there. In '06 I managed the Sunset in Sumner. I sure do miss Iowa. Good luck. You're in my prayers.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: flood! 10 Jun 2008 22:16 #18889

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Leeler

I am so sorry to hear of your experience with the flooding! (especially since I feel I know you and your wife now
). Last thing that is needed when people are already pressed cash wise with the economy. You are in my and Kathy's prayers!!

Just to share something I did a few years ago when one of my towns made national news due to a F5 tornado that pretty much leveled eveything in downtown but the theatre (still has the plaques saying "bomb shelter" from the 50's and lived up to the "promise")--As soon as we got it dried out from the rubber roof getting ripped by the neighbors buildings flying accross my roof--and got electricity back in that area (and of course after the emergency government said it was safe to come downtown) We ran free showings for a couple of weeks.

It was good PR and people needed a bit of escape from what damage was done. We did have 100's of volunteers from all over that also took advantage of this (this of course increased the population which added to viewers). I more than covered costs by selling concessions.

Just food for thought and hope all turns out good!!

Re: flood! 10 Jun 2008 22:56 #18890

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
So sorry to hear of your flood, Leeler. You and your community are in my thoughts. I wish you a speedy cleanup and replacement of those vital appliances.

I don't know what I would do in your situation, but those who responded before me have given you some great ideas.

Best wishes.

Re: flood! 11 Jun 2008 00:06 #18891

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If possible, get that furnace and water heater replaced asap and get some dehumidifiers running. Have electricians replace the wiring and fixtures that got wet.

When my friend Daryl Lund got his 3 screen Yardbirds Stadium 3 Theater (Chehalis, Washington) flooded back in early December, we were closed for ten days while all of us pitched in and cleaned up as best we could. Two days after the flood hit, the water had receeded enough to allow us to get there. Flood hit on a Monday morning (about 2 am) and by noon on Wednesday the electricians had the power back on so we could get heaters and dehumidifiers going. When we got back open all the people were so happy to be able to see movies again. All during the flood, one of our other theaters (a single screen) was high and dry and had power on. We kept that theater open and during daylight hours, we gave away alot of food to people whose homes were damaged and had nowhere else to go.

Re: flood! 11 Jun 2008 00:13 #18892

• 4thGen
Leeler, Be sure and check with your insurance company about any business interruption insurance you may have in your policy if you do shut down for a week. At least you may still be able to have some money coming in while you clean up. Two years ago we had some straight line winds go through town and down thousands of trees. Business was way down for at least a week after this as everyone was out with chainsaws cleaning up the mess. Hope all goes well with your clean-up.

Re: flood! 11 Jun 2008 08:06 #18893

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
thanks everybody for the replies.

well, the water has exited as quickly as it got in leaving behind about a half inch of what is lovingly referred to as "flood mud"
my wife and I are going to do an assessment of all of the stuff down there (after we get tetanous shots, that is). and then clean up what we deem worthy and trash bag the rest. the worst part is they are expecting even more rain so we could be in for another round.

we have decided that we need to try and reopen ASAP. we are going to run Iron Man beginning Friday. I like the idea of the free shows and will discuss this with my wife later.

thanks again everyone. jeez, I haven't been this tired after I woke up since I opened this place four and a half years ago!
"What a crazy business"

Re: flood! 11 Jun 2008 16:42 #18894

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
It has been awhile since we spoke. Your in my prayers and wish you all the best!
God Bless and get through this.
The towns folks need there entertainment which you provide for them!
Keep in touch and let me know if I could do anything!

Re: flood! 11 Jun 2008 20:47 #18895

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
"What a crazy business"

Re: flood! 12 Jun 2008 03:00 #18896

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
are you near the area that just got hit by the Tornado?

Re: flood! 12 Jun 2008 07:09 #18897

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
no, that is about 80 miles west of here and lots of our folks had been volunteering time, homes and money for those victims when mother nature paid us a house call.

we are tossing most of the stuff from the basement and then hosing it down and pumping the muck into the river.

cleanup efforts all through town are underway and we are going to be the towns entertainment option if we get everything done. I'd love to do the free movie night, but, having lost thousands of dollars of popcorn tubs, cups, lids, straws, etc we just can't afford it. Still, admission is only $4 so we should be the entertainment choice.

"What a crazy business"

Re: flood! 12 Jun 2008 14:06 #18898

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I think that getting back open as quickly as possible is a great morale booster for the community. People need some escape, some relaxation, and an indication that things will get back to normal as quickly as possible.

The link that you posted had some great photos of the flooding. I tried to find your theatre building, but couldn't. I saw the opera house building, it was obvious due to the stage house at the rear, and you can even see the marquee. I believe that you said that the river is behind you so you must be on the other side of the street with your rear right at the rivers edge. Since you were lucky enough to only have water in your basement you must be in one of the blocks that doesn't have water on the street. Are you upstream or downstream from the stone arched bridge?

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited June 12, 2008).]

Re: flood! 12 Jun 2008 18:48 #18899

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
we are upstream from the stone arch bridge just barely. I think in one of the photos you can see my marquee. The rear of our building is right next to the river (screen side). Our living quarters is on the top floor of the building.

"What a crazy business"

Re: flood! 15 Jun 2008 16:48 #18900

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Did you open??The news reports look real bad.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction