Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: zohan over sex

zohan over sex 22 May 2008 13:36 #18769

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We took Zohan over sex in the city: are we nuts?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: zohan over sex 22 May 2008 13:48 #18770

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
no

Re: zohan over sex 22 May 2008 14:11 #18771

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
Why? Any thoughts on this? I was looking at "sex" but I can't get it for 2 weeks only.
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: zohan over sex 22 May 2008 14:23 #18772

• Mike
  • Administrator
my thinking is this is a limited interest/ though huge: women mostly only /also more urban and we are not/ and that Zohan would be a wider interest comedy.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: zohan over sex 23 May 2008 10:40 #18773

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We took Sex because it caused us less of an issue booking the films we wanted in the next few weeks. Like Mike we only have 3 screens so we have to watch out what is coming in the future so we don't book a just get us by movie that will keep us from getting the next blockbuster.

FYI My wife went to the screening of Zohan and it has a lot of sex in it for a PG-13 movie. They don't show it but you know what is happening. The impression she gave me is not what you see in the preview. Watch out for mad parents.

[This message has been edited by dsschoenborn (edited May 23, 2008).]

Re: zohan over sex 30 May 2008 10:16 #18774

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
Adam Sandler is a toilet humor kind of guy. If you go to his movies you expect crude humor and chest shots. I would take it over Sex though. Sex audience will be 100% women who were fans to begin with, which is a good but very short term audience. Especially in New England, where Sandler hails from, he is always a consistent draw.

Roger Detzler
IOKA Entertainment

Re: zohan over sex 01 Jun 2008 10:18 #18775

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
I was telling everyone what a bomb this is going to be. Boy was I wrong the theatres are packed and this whole weekend from Thursday sold out shows here in NY.
Go figure!

Re: zohan over sex 01 Jun 2008 10:27 #18776

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
Ahh....the power of the women in our lives. I too sold out all the evening shows. The first audience was 99% women and they dresses up to the nines! It was like a fashion show here. Best looking audience I've ever seen.
Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: zohan over sex 01 Jun 2008 10:40 #18777

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well turns out there was a fair amount of poopy pants and bathroom humor in SATC. Maybe thats why it did so well.

Re: zohan over sex 01 Jun 2008 18:24 #18778

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thats refreshing to hear, I hadn't seen 'poopie pants' in a movie since 'Animal House' so good to hear they included that in such a high class chick flick!

<grin>
tony.

Re: zohan over sex 01 Jun 2008 19:35 #18779

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The upset stomach/fart scenes in SATC look like they were stolen verbatim from that other New Line classic "Dumb & Dumber".

Re: zohan over sex 05 Jun 2008 13:10 #18780

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is one bad review already online. I know this won't stop the crowds it may help them.

By DONALD MUNRO
McClatchy Newspapers

In "You Don't Mess With the Zohan," Henry Winkler's vomit matches the hue of his bright-orange-and-red-flecked tie.

At least you can say one good thing for Adam Sandler's weak attempt to out-Borat "Borat": It's color-coordinated.

If it's disturbing to think of the Fonz (who, like many other fading names, including John McEnroe, pop up in brief cameos) regurgitating his dinner on screen, try many scenes of Sandler's goofy character - a superhero secret agent for Israel who becomes a New York hairdresser - engaging in various pre-carnal acts involving shampoo, a tour-bus-sized contingent of randy grandmothers and a hip-grinding routine at the beauty-shop sink.

Did we mention Zohan's dirty talk with Charlotte Rae, otherwise known as Mrs. Garrett from "The Facts of Life"?

Sorry. Please don't do that Henry Winkler thing.

"Zohan" is a departure of sorts for Sandler, who's never before made a comedy so politically tinged. It isn't every comedian who'd be willing to take on the Israeli-Palestinian issue and then toss in just about every terrorist joke in the book.

We aren't talking about the generalities that we often see in films: no generic stock characters vaguely labeled Middle Eastern, say, but without specific ethnic labels. In this case, Sandler opts for explicit jabs that put us squarely in the middle of the Israeli-Palestinian experience, right down to jokes about Hezbollah, Ramadan, the Gaza Strip and the Six-Day War.

If it were in smarter hands - say, with someone who doesn't think that playing hackey sack with a cat is not only amusing but enough to carry an entire scene - perhaps a film like this would have more comic punch. But I'm not sure that the same people who are amused by potty humor and "Saturday Night Live" alums spouting bad Middle Eastern accents necessarily even know what Hezbollah is, much less why getting stuck in its annoying customer-service phone tree is potentially funny.

For the character of Zohan, Sandler veers dangerously close to Borat territory. (Why is it dangerous? Because Sacha Baron Cohen does it so much better.) There are many similarities: Both characters speak with thick accents, wear tight clothes, expose large amounts of skin to the audience and have odd hair. More than that, they are fish-out-of-water foreigners when they visit the United States.

In Zohan's case, he's tired of the killing game he has to play in Israel, especially a long-running conflict with a Palestinian adversary named the Phantom (John Turturro). Blessed with superhuman strength and an enormous - well, reputation for virility - Zohan is adored by Israelis, loathed by Palestinians and ready for a change.

His dream is to cut hair, and he makes a pilgrimage (in an outrageous bit of product placement) to the Paul Mitchell salon in New York. Though he strikes out there in terms of a job, he discovers in one Manhattan neighborhood a world in which immigrant Jews and Palestinians have forged an uneasy truce on opposite sides of a street. (It's interesting that American Jews, who are such a part of the power structure and fabric of New York, are nowhere to be seen in the film.)

As a comic actor, Sandler has a good feel for the foibles and inconsistencies that can make a character amusing; the clash between Zohan's hypermasculinity and his desire to cut hair and make it "smooth and silky," for example. And his willingness to make the comedy as specific as possible is actually pretty gutsy. Offensive, yes, and not exactly very sophisticated, but also brave.

But the topicality is swamped by the meandering and overlong plot and Sandler's trademark low humor. Seeing him frolic one time with a grandma-type is bad enough. Watching another grandma-type lick whipped cream off his nipples is another.

As one character says: "Can we do this another time? I think I have a real chance of keeping my food down tonight."

For that, I recommend a no-Sandler diet.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN

Grade: D

Re: zohan over sex 08 Jun 2008 08:47 #18781

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Takes a lot to offend me but this takes top prize.
What has happened to cinema for this to get a pg-13 rating? That was over the top and really offensive.
This was not for the audience that usually goes and sees his stuff.
Parents with kids were leaving the theater in disbelief!

Re: zohan over sex 09 Jun 2008 12:59 #18782

• Mike
  • Administrator
I love parents who go to a PG-13 movie with their kids and then leave in disbelief. The words itiots comes to mind. It's PG-13. That means it is so close to R you really should check it out. If you care.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: zohan over sex 09 Jun 2008 19:13 #18783

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
I couldn't agree more Mike.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction