Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How do you get movies in your Cinema
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you get movies in your Cinema

How do you get movies in your Cinema 29 May 2008 15:36 #18754

• cgreen0322
Hi, I am new to this, and me and a Friend are wanting to re open an old cinema in our town, and i was just wondering if someone could give me an idea of how the movie process works. Do you pay to have it in your theater, do you have to keep it for so long, is it just a portion of the ticket cost? Any insight here would be very helpful! also what is the difference when showing older movied out on DVD? THANKS!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How do you get movies in your Cinema 07 Jun 2008 08:26 #18755

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Cgreen

The best place to look to find this info is to go to the forum Frequently Asked Questions and then click on show all topics.

All the questions that you ask should be in there.

Re: How do you get movies in your Cinema 12 Jan 2009 19:45 #30692

Hello everyone,

I've read through all the questions in the faq and hundreds more posts throughout the board, and it's been tremendously helpful (if quite discouraging) in my consideration to re-open a local theater.

But I too am still trying to get a better idea of how troublesome and costly it would be, not booking even second-run or arthouse films, but merely to project older DVDs to a small, local crowd? Would it be necessary to aquire licensing rights for one-time showings of even very obscure, or underground type of films? Advertised just through fliers and word-of-mouth and whatnot?

And is there any way to aquire 35mm prints of older films which are the usual "mignight movie" fare, ie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", "Goonies", etc., without having an insider relationship with a booker or distributor? Could anyone provide a ballpark estimate of the cost to aquire rights for a single DVD showing of these kinds of films, and would that be a very arduous process?

Thanks so much to everyone on this board for all the help and insights!

Re: How do you get movies in your Cinema 12 Jan 2009 20:43 #30693

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Since you have no experience in the business I would encourage you to hire a booker who will handle all your film booking for you. It's unlikely you will find a cheap video projector that will do a decent job of putting DVDs on your screen. Most all distributors have repertory (classic) divisions. You'll find a list of distributors on this site. Rentals are usually a percentage of your boxoffice gross. Some are flat rates. You need a "public performance license" to show anything you rent outside the distributors.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: How do you get movies in your Cinema 13 Jan 2009 14:40 #30696

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
many small film socities, libraries, etc. show DVDs without any lisc. The bigger you get the more likely you are to show up on the radar. The film distribs protect themselves with vigor.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: How do you get movies in your Cinema 15 Jan 2009 18:19 #30705

Thanks guys!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction