Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby America's Sweethearts?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: America's Sweethearts?

America's Sweethearts? 20 Jul 2001 19:17 #1869

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
What happened to box office gold? It opened really puckerish as if people seemed to be really listening to all the lousy reviews! I need a good picture! As in one that puts butts in the seats.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: America's Sweethearts? 20 Jul 2001 21:05 #1870

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm looking at Himalaya to do some biz -- since art house stuff is dead this summer. You know it's bad when a Yak film shot in Nepal has been getting more requests than anything else. But, I do hear it's wonderful. After a week of Sexy Beasy, I'll be looking forward to a G rated film . . . .
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: America's Sweethearts? 21 Jul 2001 14:49 #1871

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Himalaya played for 7 weeks here at the Rialto. It was a pleasent suprise for us. It did quite well.

At The Rafael in San Rafael Himalaya and Memento have played for 17 straight weeks and there is no end in sight. I asked the manager how much he made on each film last week and he stated that each film pulled in $4,000. The Rafael is even prevented by the town from showing week day matinees. So that is $4,000 on one showing per day!

Re: America's Sweethearts? 21 Jul 2001 19:36 #1872

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Large. There is hope, after all.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: America's Sweethearts? 21 Jul 2001 22:51 #1873

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Large:

I'm curious as to why a town would prevent a theatre from running weekday matinees. I have never heard of such before. Do you know the reason? I run a Wednesday matinee every week of the year which is very popular with the seniors. I believe that I am the only small town theatre in Pennsylvania that runs a weekday matinee. My town fathers would kiss my butt to have me run them every day, but I don't think they would pay for themselves. Sometimes in the summer I do... it depends upon the picture.

Re: America's Sweethearts? 22 Jul 2001 13:30 #1874

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The Rafael is a three-screen art cinema in Downtown San Rafael California. It is a non-profit theatre and the investors were the town of San Rafael, The Mill Valley Film Festival, Century Theatres and others. Because Century Theatres is an investor, they cheery pick all the big art films like Chocolate and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. This leaves The Rafael to show some really obscure films. They do a lot of retrospectives and films based on a genre. It allows them some more freedom of programming than we have.

I believe that the town prevented the theatre from being open weekday matinees because they have no parking for the theatre and San Rafael wanted to keep that kind of traffic out of Downtown during the working day. Based on our matinee traffic, I don't think it would that big a problem, however, since the manager is prevented from opening on weekday matinees, he really enjoys it. He only has to cover 9 shifts per week instead of 14 shifts like we have to. This also means that he has all day Friday to build up prints.

Re: America's Sweethearts? 23 Jul 2001 12:42 #1875

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
During the summer we do a Weds. matinee but gave it up during the winter even though the same 20 people came religiously!

It must be nice to have such a parking problem that you ban activities.

Our motto? We want a parking problem!!!!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction