Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts

Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 29 May 2008 15:51 #18673

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have had no issues with my DTS sound. I have had no complaints and I watched this Sunday night with no issues. Has anyone else heard or had these issues here?

Telegraph (UK)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Film-goers complain of sound cuts

By Matthew Moore

Last updated: 1:34 PM BST 29/05/2008

Claims of repeated sound cuts during screenings of the latest Indiana Jones film have sparked a wave of complaints in the United States.

Film fans have inundated internet forums to complain about sound being lost for seconds at a time at key points in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

At least one cinema in the US has reportedly posted a sign apologising to customers, saying the gaps are due to problems with the film reel.

"The notice acknowledged that the momentary silences were annoying but that it was out of their control," Adrian McCarthy, a customer of the Regal Cinema at Hacienda Crossing, California, wrote on his blog.

Rumours that the cuts could have been inserted by film producers or distributors as a way of tracking piracy have been downplayed by insiders.

Film firms use sophisticated watermarking techniques in order to trace the cinemas in which pirates make illegal recordings, and would be unlikely to adopt such a blunt tool as deliberately cutting the sound.

Paramount, which distributes the film in the US, and in the UK as United International Pictures, has not yet returned calls from the Telegraph.

Other film fans in the US reported a similar loss of sound during their viewings of the film, although it is not yet clear if the problem is widespread in the UK.

"Three separate instances spread across the film where the sound dropped out for several seconds. The first time it was preceded by a loud pop, but the other two times it just dropped out," Andrewb commented on the Boing Boing blog.

"The audio drop-outs were annoyingly noticeable at the midnight showing at Seattle's Cinerama - many groans issued from the crowd each time the sound was dropped. But no explanation was given that I saw or heard," Apollo18 added.

The sound cuts have also sparked debate among projectionists and cinema staff in the US. A film handler identifying himself as Robert LaValley, from Orlando in Florida, wrote on the Film-Tech message board that he had received complaints from many customers and had encouraged them to contact Paramount.

Other projectionists said the problem was likely a technical error, caused by incompatibility between the film reels and some types of readers used in cinemas.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the fourth film in the action franchise, became one of the most lucrative launches in Hollywood history after raking in more than £157 million on its opening weekend.

Paramount has reported box office sales of £76.3 million in America and £80.8 million from its debut in 61 other countries - despite mixed reviews of the film.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 29 May 2008 15:55 #18674

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
No issues here either with my dts, but have heard of others that have.

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 29 May 2008 16:28 #18675

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We didn't have any problems.

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 29 May 2008 17:10 #18676

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
anybody with Dolby getting sound issues? I asked my paramount rep and she said it is a security device of some kind.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 29 May 2008 20:35 #18677

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We received the following in an e-mail from our Paramount booker yesterday:

It has come to our attention that some theatres are experiencing multiple sound drops on Reel 5 of INDIANA JONES. If any of your theatres are experiencing this “problem” be aware that the issue is not with the prints, but with the settings on your projector(s).

The sound drops are due to a “security watermark” whose effect can apparently be corrected by properly re-balancing sound levels between Digital and Analog.

Below is the official explanation…

“There are 3 digital sound reversions within reel 5 of Indiana Jones, where the sound will switch from Digital to Analog. These reversions are part of a security system that is embedded within all prints of Indiana Jones. If you should experience sound level issues between digital and analog you will have to re-balance the sound levels between Digital and Analog and this will correct the situation. The reversion should only last a few seconds within reel 5.”

If your tech people need further assistance, please have them contact Deluxe Film Service.

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 30 May 2008 07:29 #18678

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
We did have problems with ours, but we just ordered a new DTS disc and it seems to be fine now

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 30 May 2008 09:50 #18679

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
No problems with my print, we dont run DTS though.

Re: Indiana Jones - complaints of sound cuts 31 May 2008 00:41 #18680

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yah, it's a big topic on another discussion board. They've posted pictures of the bloops that have been printed into the reel. It's not considered a defect, because it was done on purpose, so replacement reel 5's were not authorized.

I hate to see this kind of stuff, and I'm not defending the studio. However, the practical reality is that it shouldn't be a major problem for theatres with balanced SR systems (or compatibles). Unless you've got a trained ear, SR can be tuned darn close to digital... except for the 2-channel surrounds.

There are some purists who are making a big deal about this... but if there's a serious sound issue, there's probably something in the system that's been needing a look.

I've wondered if maintenance might suffer in some theatres with decent digital systems. These cases might be examples

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited May 31, 2008).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction