Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Disney Admits 'Caspian' Release Date Error

Disney Admits 'Caspian' Release Date Error 29 May 2008 18:56 #18671

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In a speech today before Wall Street capital investors, Disney CEO Robert Iger admitted that scheduling 'Caspian' between 'Iron Man' and 'Indy 4' was a mistake. Iger lamented the current "very delicate, very fragile marketplace" that is today's moviegoing environment.

Caspian had been scheduled for Xmas 2007 but was apparently postponed to May 2008 at the behest of Disney's producing partner Walden Media which also made the competing "Waterhorse" release at Xmas 2007 and which did not want the two fantasy pictures competing against one another.

I would think it would be apparent to anyone with some savy that with the glut of similar films (e.g. "Spiderwick Chronicles: etc,) that 'fantasy fatigue' was bound to set in.

And lets face it: Caspian is not all that good and audiences are going to be cautious in these days of $4.00 gas.

What I want to know now.... Since Ironman 2 has been recently announced for April 30, 2010, will Disney move its date for Narnia 3 which has been set for one week later on May 7, 2010 for some time now?

And when will the studios ever learn to stop banging their heads against one another?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Disney Admits 'Caspian' Release Date Error 30 May 2008 10:16 #18672

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In my opinion, Disney should've held off on the Caspian release until the fall when nothing huge ever comes out, or target the Thanksgiving weekend rush. Pushing it out to Thanksgiving weekend would have knocked me out of playing it (I'm a drive-in), but the picture would have made more money.

We opened Caspian, and did fairly well with it the first weekend. However, when Indiana Jones opened on Thursday of last week, it knocked Caspian completely out of the water. Currently I have the Indy/Iron man combo on one screen and Narnia / Speed racer on the other. I can tell you that the Narnia / Speed Racer combo drew merely 10% of what Indy and Iron man did at my theatre over the Memorial Day weekend.
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction