Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: D-Cinema

D-Cinema 21 May 2008 22:29 #18626

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Just installed a NEC 1600 digital projector
with a reald 3-D system. Have to say it has been a very positive experience. Very easy to operate, and of course excellent picture and sound.
Later cuemarks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: D-Cinema 22 May 2008 01:56 #18627

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Is your NEC system "approved" by Disney? Tell us about your theatre and anything you care to share about the NEC purchase.

Re: D-Cinema 22 May 2008 09:53 #18628

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, it has been approved for Disney films.
The tech who installed the system helped us with that process. Our first digital print was Narnia. I will send pictures of the installation soon. We did leave the the film projector in the booth in case we want to use film again. We installed this system independent of any groups, and did it to see what digital is all about. I plan to share my experience with anyone who is interested.

Re: D-Cinema 22 May 2008 11:26 #18629

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome to Bigscreen.

Please tell us about your theatre, also.

Re: D-Cinema 22 May 2008 13:31 #18630

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Please tell us more when you can!

Re: D-Cinema 24 May 2008 00:21 #18631

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Starting week two with our digital projector. The system has worked well with no problems. I can see that D-Cinema is much easier to work with than film and has a great picture that is always in focus and in frame. I have always enjoyed 35mm film projectors, but I rather go all digital now.
Perhaps I will change my mind tomorrow if the projector fails, but I will keep you posted of all curve balls it throws at me,

Re: D-Cinema 24 May 2008 10:17 #18632

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
How is the picture quality compared to 35mm? Do you think the resolution is close to matching your 35mm prints yet?

Re: D-Cinema 24 May 2008 15:15 #18633

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
I an very happy with the picture quality. I feel it does a better job than my Century JJs. Plus, the picture is rock steady and each showing is as good as the first. No scratches is a good thing! Incidently, I try hard to take care of my 35mm prints, so when I am done with them they are still in good shape.

Re: D-Cinema 24 May 2008 23:32 #18634

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
One theater I know of has had an NEC projector for a year now. The thing is falling apart. It's had at least two bulb explosions, locked up countless times, and has had several circuit board failures on weekends causing complete shutdown of the show and having to wait several days for boards to arrive. Oh and even the lens is falling apart.

Re: D-Cinema 27 May 2008 14:29 #18635

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Hope mine blows before the warranty is up!
I was told by the tech not to go over
the bulb warranty life, in my case 1200 hours. Reason is, if the bulb blows and takes the reflector with it, I will be out a lot of money! One thing I like about the lamp is the ease of bulb replacement. Simply adjust 3 screws to a peak value on a led readout, and you should have a very accurate bulb adjustment, for maxiumun light output. Much easier than a Super Lume-X. So far the Nec has worked perfectly with no problems. I will keep you posted of any problems I have. Cuemarks

Re:D-Cinema 01 Oct 2008 01:45 #30030

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
VARIETY article

Exhibs, studios bridge digital divide
Sides agree on 'virtual' print fees for 3-D's sake
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

After a long stalemate, the country’s three largest theater chains will begin installing digital screens —needed to play 3-D titles — en masse after reaching agreement with five studios on "virtual" print fees.
Studios are Disney, Lionsgate, Paramount, 20th Century Fox and Universal. Pact, set to be announced today, was inked with Digital Cinema Implementation Partners, a consortium repping AMC Entertainment, Cinemark and Regal Cinemas.

News comes none too soon, considering there are a dozen 3-D titles set for release next year. As of now, there aren’t enough digital 3-D screens to fully support so much product.

DCIP needed the studio deals in order to access a $1 billion line of credit arranged earlier this year through JPMorgan Securities. Loan money will be used to install 20,000 digital screens — the lion’s share of the 37,000 screens in North America.

Sony is said to be in the process of finalizing its deal with DCIP.

As long as the three big chains stood on the sidelines, the rollout of digital cinema was stymied.

DCIP and studios have been talking for months, with plenty of finger-pointing on either side.

Exhibs argued that they shouldn’t bear the full financial burden of converting conventional screens to digital.

The virtual print fees are designed to defray the majority of the conversion cost.
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:D-Cinema 10 Oct 2008 20:15 #30092

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster (or responder, I guess). Great info and insight here. Please fill me in a little on the d-cinema thing. We are a refurbished 6-screen , part indie, part mainstream. 3 houses have dolby towers, one of which has DTS. From what I've found online, projectors are well under 5 grand.

Are these the type of projector we're talking about here?

Also, what is needed to play the D-film? Standard blu-ray, or something else?

What is cost of player if something else?

Would the whole set-up just plug right into Dolby/DTS tower?

Thanks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction