Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speed Racer

Speed Racer 25 Apr 2008 08:35 #18551

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I thought Cars would not be good: I was wrong. Never doubt Pixar. Never doubt Pixar. But Speed Racer just does not do it for me. Am I wrong again?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Speed Racer 25 Apr 2008 08:45 #18552

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Mike i dont see SPEED RACER as big a hit as everyone thinks!

Re: Speed Racer 26 Apr 2008 05:29 #18553

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Umm... Speed Racer is not Pixar.

Re: Speed Racer 28 Apr 2008 21:04 #18554

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Anybody told that there is a guarantee on Speed Racer to book it? And that you have to keep it for 3 weeks minimum?

Re: Speed Racer 29 Apr 2008 02:55 #18555

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Speed racer looks like hit or a big miss! Looks like a loud mess!

Re: Speed Racer 10 May 2008 00:46 #18556

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
fri numbers on rentrak not great ......this will be a sat sun pic...

Re: Speed Racer 10 May 2008 12:41 #18557

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, after opening night.....BOMB!!!!! IN our area it was the 3rd-5th top grossing movie. We did bad on it as well.

I hope it was just a bad night thing. Should have been leary when WB asked for the guarantee that I am going to have to pay on it.

Can the market support all of these big movies this summer? What is the next movie to not have enough support?

Re: Speed Racer 10 May 2008 13:34 #18558

• Senior Boarder
Not good...a PG movie over 2 hours long with such choice children's words as s***, d***,and a nice flipping off scene! I am NOT impressed...

Re: Speed Racer 10 May 2008 14:13 #18559

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
I'll second the sentiment here. BIG BOMB on opening night. I've put one show in on Sat. afternoon and same result. Iron Man is doing 3x the patrons. With Narnia and Indy 4 coming next week, Speed will be pushed aside. Looks like it will qualify for the coveted prize- 1st Bomb of Summer '08.

Re: Speed Racer 12 May 2008 09:09 #18560

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
Its a complete bomb and an example of mis-guided marketing. I agree with everything said here, to long, to many curses for a PG film, bad release date. Complete waste of my time. Thanks WB for duping me into this mess of a film through misdirected marketing.

Heads up, there is another of these coming down the pike. Will Smiths new entry Hancock has a family-friendly trailer, but I have read and heard that this is far from a family-friendly film and that they are having a difficult time getting it down from an R, which means a hard PG-13 when they do get it.

Re: Speed Racer 12 May 2008 10:25 #18561

• Tom Watkins
  • Senior Boarder
With something like this is is ok to run this only once a day if I have a screen for it AND not be doubling it? I have my Pub screen that gets little usage due to great pub business but....I am planning on taking this print and doing "early bird" shows so it doesn't get in the way of people coming for drinks and eating....

As long as I'm not running another movie on this screen I believe it falls into the "ok" zone since I'm not doubling it with another movie. I guess I wonder if it's cool to only run it once a day? Has anyone talked to WB about dumping after 2 weeks? How does that work if you are on for 4?....is it really number that dicate it?

Tom Watkins
Magic Lantern Theater
Bridgton Maine

Re: Speed Racer 12 May 2008 13:10 #18562

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Watkins:
<B>With something like this is is ok to run this only once a day if I have a screen for it AND not be doubling it? I have my Pub screen that gets little usage due to great pub business but....I am planning on taking this print and doing "early bird" shows so it doesn't get in the way of people coming for drinks and eating....

As long as I'm not running another movie on this screen I believe it falls into the "ok" zone since I'm not doubling it with another movie. I guess I wonder if it's cool to only run it once a day? Has anyone talked to WB about dumping after 2 weeks? How does that work if you are on for 4?....is it really number that dicate it?

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does your licensing agreement say? Most indoors are expected to play multiple shows daily, as specified by the licensing agreement. Showings may only be limited with studio approval.

The person you need to ask is at WB. Or your booker.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Transit Drive in (edited May 12, 2008).]
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re: Speed Racer 12 May 2008 14:31 #18563

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I've been booking theatres for decades now and have never been told that a first run must book a certain number of shows a day.

What I have always been told is that they must run that theatres normal policy. If the theatre normally runs 4 shows a day, if must do that with their picture as well, but if they only run one show a day all the time then that's all that is expected of them.

Re: Speed Racer 19 May 2008 11:49 #18564

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
So no one else had to pay a min guarantee on this? I was told a min. guarantee of $1500. As of right now with probably 75% of its gross already in for most, there are a number a theaters in my area that will lose money on this if they have the same guarantee that I have. I will make some money thanks to some school groups.

Anyone else??

Re: Speed Racer 19 May 2008 11:55 #18565

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It did so bad I said "matinees or it is out of here after two weeks". The Tough WB guy was out of town. Come on...

I think the answer is yes on the show it as little as one show as long as it's clean.

And I would not get into trouble by asking!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction