Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding Screens - Success Stories

Adding Screens - Success Stories 08 May 2008 14:14 #18451

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
Hi All,

We are looking into converting our theatre to 3-4 screens. My booker and the theatre design company give me a thumbs up. My investors, naturally, are second guessing this move.

Does anyone have success (or failure) stories of splitting their theatre up? We're in a small town and are unsure if we even have enough of an audience to support 4 screens.

Percentage of increase would be appreciated if possible, but I understand if you need to keep them hush-hush.

Thanks to all who can help!

- mannooss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adding Screens - Success Stories 08 May 2008 19:57 #18452

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
well, how many screens do you have now and how is that going? Do you have close competition? How many people do you have nearby?

These questions need to be addressed
"What a crazy business"

Re: Adding Screens - Success Stories 11 May 2008 01:43 #18453

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Our theater is in a town of about 10,000 with our closest competition about 40 miles away. We broke our single screen into 3 theaters. We have one theater with about 200 seats, a middle sized theater and a small theater with 50 seats. Being able to rotate films has made booking much easier. We are now able to market to more diverse audiences so we can pull in more sections of our small market at one time. Expensive project for a small town theater, but certainly worth it. The only downside is that our theater is quite a beautiful historic building, and we had to gut our auditorium and build over our stage. I wish we still had it.

Re: Adding Screens - Success Stories 12 May 2008 13:18 #18454

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
Currently we are a 2 screen first-run theatre. We make enough each weekend to break even, depending on the film. A Shrek or Disney film typically triples our weekend average.

We are the only theatre in our county for 40 miles. Nearest competition is in another county 15 minutes away (2 multiplexes). As there is a bridge between the two counties our audience doesn't make that trip. Our town is about 9,000 with 12,000 over the summer.

Our booker makes the same argument as BusyBee. Easier booking options, lower terms for a 3-week-old film and the ability to reach diverse audiences. We are an artsy town but my 2-screen can't afford to show an indie picture for 3-4 weeks.

The other theory I've been told is even just the upgrade in design, seating and sound will be enough to increase attendence...an extra screen is an added perk.

Again this is what I am being told...I wish I could believe it.

- mannooss

Re: Adding Screens - Success Stories 12 May 2008 23:46 #18455

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Our theater can't afford to show indie pictures at all! We have to stay as first-run as possible.

We did do our remodel in stages. We split up the theater and kept one theater running while we worked on the others. Our biggest theater didn't have stadium seating at first. It was only a few years ago when we were finally able to complete that. We continue to work on it as we can.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction