Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shooting Gallery

Shooting Gallery 27 Jun 2001 17:00 #1835

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last year we were pissed because the Shooting Gallery Film Series was played at United Artists theatres across the country, regardless if there was a good independent cinema in town or not. So all of the people who wanted to see these films would call us up and ask if we were getting the films and we would have to say, no they are playing exclusively at United Artists. So we picked up some of the films after they were nominated for Academy Awards and played them to much larger audiences than the United Artists did, here in town.

So this year, Shooting Gallery awarded the series to us. I guess they realized that independent theatres market their films better and let them play longer. We were to get LAST RESORT, WHEN BRENDAN MET TRUDY, TOO MUCH SLEEP, THE DAY I BECAME A WOMAN, THE LOW DOWN and EUREKA. We opened Last Resort last week to not much attendance. This week we were looking forward to When Brendan Met Trudy which has gotten good reviews in NYC & LA.

So last night at 5:30 PM Technicolor calls up Ky and tells him that they won't be able to ship our film out this week because Shooting Gallery went out of business today. We called our booker in a hurry and tried to get in touch with the newspapers to change our ads. Can you believe it? We just lost 6 titles in a blink. I don't even know if they will pick up Last Resort. Our booker already told us not to pay the weeks rental on this film. Well luckily we have a backlog of titles to play, so I guess this will not hurt us too much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Shooting Gallery 27 Jun 2001 17:19 #1836

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Ouch! They didn't make a deal to have their pics distribed forward? That's too bad as they had a good name and did good work.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Shooting Gallery 09 Jul 2001 14:28 #1837

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
I listened to a story on public radio this wek re: Shooting Gallery. What a tragedy. Here they were going very well. Think Sling Blade. Then........ dot com dreams got them derailed and embroiled into a much bigger endeavor and when it all went south they went with it. As one person said: it wasn't that Shooting gallery was a bad idea, it was a very good idea and plan. They just got caught ." I hope they'll be replaced shortly.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction