Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME!

IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 08 Apr 2008 22:56 #18231

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
LAST 2 WEEKS WERE dead!
1 ST BAD WEEKS OF 08.............HOPE IT DOES NOT GO ON MUCH LONGER.......UGH
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 09 Apr 2008 05:52 #18232

• sheri6363
  • Senior Boarder
DITTO

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 09 Apr 2008 13:25 #18233

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hey Guys!

Are you letting the distributors dictate what you play at your theatres by booking only what they are promoting? Do you know your demographic well enough to look for more obscure films they would come to see with some promotion on your part? Do you have minorities in your area that would come to see a film in their language? How about a film festival featuring multiple features of the same actor or theme? (Take a clue from Turner Classic Movies - not everyone is sitting home watching TCM) How about getting an outside group to "sponsor" a film at your place or help you with promotion for a reduced admission? It's time we got back to being "showmen".

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 09 Apr 2008 15:14 #18234

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Doing all of the above .......................Just a few slow weeks ....we are having a very large film festival....................may 1 to 4
la scala opera......Steinway piano promotion..Bruce springstien concert....

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 10 Apr 2008 08:53 #18235

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I love Bob. But I have to say: I've done all of that which he suggests many a time. I find that all of my promotion machine, and it's as good as it gets IMHO for a small town: we build web sites, do e mail promos, get radio and TV coverage, interviews, live stuff, poster 40-50 miles out to every surrounding city, press release up the wahzoo, etc. etc. And almost any Hollywood promoted film (don't forget they know a little about demographics and promotion also) will out draw. So ys... you can do your own thing... but in a small market... it's not as easy as Bob makes it out. Not only that: it's much harder work than playing a movie everyone already wants to see. And less expensive too. Try driving around for 5 days putting up posters or paying people by the hour and mileage to do it. It makes that 52% aggregate look like a bargain. Bob's formula has more chance of success in larger markets where you can build a niche. In smaller markets a niche is a teeny thing indeed.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 10 Apr 2008 10:54 #18236

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
our 1 st film festival we have 45 features or shorts in 3 1/2 days ...Now thats work!

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 10 Apr 2008 11:59 #18237

• Mike
  • Administrator
take a look at the www.comicartsfest.com which we started yesterday 23 indie long and shorts plus 6 full length plus 10 live shows plus kids cartoons plus brunch-parties-etc. It's fun: but real work. I'd rather play a blockbuster sometimes.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 10 Apr 2008 18:12 #18238

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd rather play a blockbuster every day.

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 10 Apr 2008 19:07 #18239

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
mike how is it going so far????

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 12 Apr 2008 11:07 #18240

• Mike
  • Administrator
How is going so far? I will be bluntly honest: not well. Without a doubt the attendence of older films is a near non starter: not worth doing and remind me if I say I am doing it again. Drillbit Taylor out grossed the combined: Annie Hall, Dr. Strangelove, The Lady Eve, Buster Keaton's "Sherlock, Jr." 21 indies, and an LA filmmaker doing a ten year retro. While I appreciate arm chair advisers cheerfull enthusiams I challenge anyone who has actually done this sort of thing to find a crack of promotion we did not mine. The live stuff is doing better/ we had a good house for Tim Sample a Maine humorist and today we have a good line up with active phones. I'll doa post morteum after the weekend. So far: disappointing. It reminds me of the old boating analogy: why own a boat when you can stand in a cold shower and tear up 100$ bills. That's what this weekend is feeling like.

Burney: I'd rather play blockbusters anyday too.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 12 Apr 2008 13:16 #18241

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
When it is all said and done you will find some things that worked..

Next time pick those things and try something else new....

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 12 Apr 2008 13:19 #18242

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Do you think doing something on a little smaller scale would work better? Lets say doing some older movies at 11 or midnight ona Friday or Saturday? Lets say something like Indiana Jones,Ghostbusters,Back to the Future, and other popular movies? In the project I'm working on, that is one thing I would like to try. Its a college town, so I thought they might get into that sort of show. At least you wouldn't lose a regular show, since the theatre wouldn't normally be operating at that time, in case it didn't do well. I would think if you get some advertisements out there with all the movies on it for every Fri/Sat for a month it might catch on...

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 12 Apr 2008 14:11 #18243

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry I've been absent from these boards for a long time. Just finishing going through a divorce.

One thing that we did a couple weeks ago was televise the pay-per-view event Wrestlemania 24. Had basically a sell-out- 195 seats sold in a 200 seat theatre. Lots of concessions consumed and everyone loved the idea. We will be showing Summer Slam in August. Going to have some souvenir T-shirts printed up with event and our logo as folks were asking for those.

Keep plugging away during the slow times and let's hope the summer is good to us. Seems like alot of solid pics coming up.

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 14 Apr 2008 10:29 #18244

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Did you charge for admission to those pay-per-view events? From other posts on this board that does not seam to go with the agreement with you pay-per-view provider unless they too got a cut of the tickets.

Did you check this out and it is alright because I would love to do this too.

Re: IS IT DEAD OR IS IT JUST ME! 15 Apr 2008 21:09 #18245

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
We paid a very hefty fee to televise the event and the contract had no language in it that I read prohibiting an admission fee. To be safe, we charged for a food & beverage fee.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction