Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back from Show West

Back from Show West 17 Mar 2008 11:03 #17866

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I went, I saw, I talked, walked, I ate, drank, played poker and won 545.00, met and visited with a lot of great people. I am now back in the orfice and will write up a "What I did at Show West" and report in on my "digital cinema" homework assignment.

Maggie Gyllenhal helped intro the Batman trailer, she got stuck back stage as the film started, and she had to walk off the stage silhouetted by the projection and if it were up to me she could do that all day long.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Back from Show West 18 Mar 2008 12:20 #17867

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Here's something I wrote up for our weekly email for our theatre goers.

The owners of the Colonial Theatre belong to a cult. Movie theatre owners, the people who make the movies, and the people who make stuff to show movies all belong to a cult. Seat and projector manufacturers, sound system and popcorn machine builders and movie stars, directors and distributors, and the people who sell you movie tickets belong to a cult. A few times a year we get together. This year Show West ……see the schedule at…. http://www.showest.com/filmexpo/photos/pdf/A_SW08_Sked.pdf was held in Las Vegas and Therese and I were there. We go to see the latest films, for training, and to look at all the stuff that makes our theatres tick. And hanging out with dozens of famous movie stars and directors isn’t all that bad either. As trade shows go it is long and grueling. Four full days that start at 7:30 in the AM and wrap up as late as midnight or two in the AM. During the show we don’t have a minute for Vegas as we troop from movie to dinner to reception to demonstration to speeches to classes. We’re ready to drop into bed and average 5 hours of sleep for every 19 hour day. The best part of it for us is spending every waking moment with people like us who “get” what it is we do, how it is done, and everything that goes into putting film on a silver screen. This industry is a small one. There are only about 4000 movie theatres in all of North America. In comparison there are some 35,000 McDonalds. One thing that everyone in this business shares is a love for the movies andbeing in a movie theatre. Watching movies, going to the movies, and remembering what it was like just as a regular ticket buying person. We love the movies and that’s more than the film. It’s about social and family life, about learning and sharing, seeing and experiencing things we’ll never see in real life, imagination, craft, art, and heart. Over the week we heard from a pile of stars, Las Vegas is only 45 minutes from Hollywood, and stars, directors, and film distributors all make it a point to attend Show West. And guess what: they all remember what it was like not to be a star or on top of the world and going to the movies. It’s what made them want to be in the movies and make movies. During a number of events over the week we shared dinner and listened to Brendon Fraser, Maggie Gyllenhal, Christina Ricci, Kevin Spacey, Mike Meyers, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Alan Nolan, Jonathan Demme, Christian Bale, America Ferrera, Alexis Bledell, Steve Correll, Ang Lee, Helen Hunt, Robert Redford, David Mamet, Alan Ball, Ashton Kutchner, Cameron Diaz, Kate Bosworth, Lawrence Fishburne, Seth Rogen, Emile Hirsch, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Abigal Breslin. They’re all stars, all gifted, and deserving to have their names up in lights. They also turn out to real people who grew up in real towns. Often as small as Belfast. What do they talk about? What being in a movie theatre, watching movies, going to the movies, and loving the movies did for them. They also thank us, the movie theatre owners, for doing what we do. Because we’re all part of a cult. The cult is in service to you the people who love movies too but don’t get to see the film cans arriving in the middle of the night, platter and projection systems, the 3-D equipment, and everything that goes into making movies work so that when you walk in on a Friday night and sit down we’ll whisk you far, far away and tell you a story. We’re members of a cult and we love it.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction