Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Single location multple print economics

Single location multple print economics 08 Mar 2008 23:38 #17795

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I need a history lesson here from somebody. What are the economics for giving a mulitplex a 2nd copy of a print; say 10,000 BC? For example, how much more do they (studios) think that a 2nd print can derive in ticket revenue? Certainly not 100%, I doubt even 50% more. The reason I ask is that we passed on 10,000 BC b/c we thought the guarantee was too high. Our local multiplex had 2 prints last night and averaged 41 people per show. Yes, they still would have done much more on a revenue per print than we would have but I doubt that second print really brought in much more. Does having twice as many showtimes really help out? Anyone know of any testing on this?

Since films drop so much the second week, why would a theatre want two prints of a film the second week? Why wouldn't the studios want to circulate that 2nd print to another theater after just 1 week?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Single location multple print economics 08 Mar 2008 23:49 #17796

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
First the multiplex did not have a guarantee for either print.
2nd -2 prints all depends on the movie.

You can sell 100% in both houses lets say on Batman and not on BC..

Re: Single location multple print economics 09 Mar 2008 10:19 #17797

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
From my experience managing large multiplex theatres the studios want you to take as many prints of a particular film as you are willing too (and sometimes not willing too). It is in the studios best interest to make as many seats and showtimes available during the first week of the run as the terms are much more favorable to the studios than they will be a couple of weeks later. Also, if they have a real stinker on thier hands they want everyone to go see it right away so that by the time the bad word of mouth gets out you will have already seen it. If you got shut out of an opening weekend show and planned to try again next week then heard what a piece of crap the movie is then you will probably decide not to go, putting two or three prints in a theatre will make it more likely that you will be able to go opening weekend. My opinion is that this in no way benefits the theatre, movies no longer "have legs" any more. Everything has become old by the second or third weekend when the terms become such that a theatre can make a lot more money on the film it has already been run into the ground, and if you refuse to accept that second or third print of a piece of crap release then good luck getting the blockbuster you want to book from that studio.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction