Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Theatre

New Theatre 19 Feb 2008 22:05 #17767

• Santikos
  • Junior Boarder
After many delays we will be opening up our eighth location.

I have a strong general manager, experienced assistants and I've opened up 22 theatres; however any tips or advice would still be helpful and much appreciated.

Richard
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Theatre 22 Feb 2008 11:04 #17768

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
I would do a dry run through. I would invite the families of your staff and some local bigshots (mayor, city council, police chief etc...) To a pre grand opening and run prints of films that have already been released and give complimentary soda and popcorn that way you get to see your operation in action before you officially open to the public and you can fix anything you want to before the doors really open. I think it's important to work through all the bugs before the first paying audiences come in... First impressions last a long long time!

Another thing I have seen the big chains do is to bring in some prints of second run movies and open for a few days before the grand opening and sell tickets for a dollar or two again, so that you can work the bugs out and have everything down cold when you officially open the doors to the public grand opening. Hope this helped some, and good luck to you!

Oh... By the way where are your theatres located? I would like to check one out if I ever get the chance!

[This message has been edited by NSCInemas (edited February 22, 2008).]

Re: New Theatre 22 Feb 2008 11:21 #17769

• Santikos
  • Junior Boarder
Sean,

Thanks for the post.

We have 7 in San Antonio and are opening a 18 + IMAX in Houston next week. A few pictures are on our website at www.santikos.com

Re: New Theatre 23 Feb 2008 12:14 #17770

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
Your theatres look very nice. It is nice to see people building attractive looking theatres again.

Re: New Theatre 23 Feb 2008 23:50 #17771

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Wasn't Santikos part of the old Act 3 Theatres chain?

Re: New Theatre 24 Feb 2008 01:02 #17772

• Santikos
  • Junior Boarder
Theatres were leased to ACT III in the late 80's. Regal acquired during there acquisition of ACT III. In 01 we took the theatres back and began expanding and remodeling.

Richard

Re: New Theatre 25 Feb 2008 00:31 #17773

wow. Those are really cool theatres Santikos. Looks like you have a great thing going

Re: New Theatre 27 Feb 2008 12:31 #17774

• Mill
  • Expert Boarder
Richard,

Wasn't that theatre supposed to open in November??

Re: New Theatre 28 Feb 2008 08:59 #17775

• Santikos
  • Junior Boarder
Yes it was. After opening our flagship location the year before we stopped construction and did a large redesign based on our experiences with the restaurants and bars. We reduced the size of our restaurant, added a second bar and expanded our gelato stand. Fortunately we own the land and can miss a few months rent.

Richard

Re: New Theatre 28 Feb 2008 14:23 #17776

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
I see on your website that you are opening tomorrow. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait check it out next week, I can't wait to see it. Anyways, break a leg!

[This message has been edited by NSCInemas (edited February 28, 2008).]

Re: New Theatre 29 Feb 2008 03:42 #17777

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Movies are alive and your the proof with what you have done with your theaters.
Good luck and all the best!
All your theaters are brilliant and look like a place you will want to go over and over to!

Re: New Theatre 29 Feb 2008 12:06 #17778

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
From the Houston Chronicle;

New luxury Silverado IMAX opens today near Tomball
By ERIC HARRISON
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

These are not the best of times for the movie-theater business. Netflix, cable television, pay-per-view and competition from the Internet and video games are cutting into box-office revenue.

It doesn't help that the movie-going experience can be miserable, with high prices, crying babies, ringing cell phones and that chatty couple in the next row conspiring to make sure you have a bad time.

Still, that hasn't kept chains from spending lavishly on new theaters on the theory that a pleasurable movie-going experience will entice people to get up off the couch.

Houston's newest, the Silverado IMAX, opens today on Texas 249 near Tomball. The lavish, $30 million, 5,000-seat complex seeks to duplicate the success the Santikos Theater chain has had with its first luxury theater, the Palladium in San Antonio. "That's the busiest theater in Texas, and usually in the top 10 nationally," said Richard Cieplechowicz, the small chain's director of business development. In the year since the Palladium opened, more than 1.5 million people have visited it, he said.

The 100,000-square foot Silverado will have a Western theme (instead of the Palladium's Greek theme) and 19 stadium-style auditoriums with digital projection and sound and plush, rocker seats with reserved-seating in several auditoriums on weekends.

It also will have a full-service restaurant, two full-service bars, a gelato cafe and large game room.

It will be the sort of place, Cieplechowicz said, where parents may relax in the restaurant with a grilled-fish meal and glass of wine while their kids watch a Hannah Montana concert movie on one of the four screens capable of showing digital 3-D.

The IMAX theater will begin presenting digitally projected performances by the San Francisco Opera Company in March, he said.

The digital projection is significant because it ensures a better picture and sound, and its more efficient for the theater. Film passing through equipment deteriorates, "no matter how good a projectionist you have," Cieplechowicz said. "With digital, the picture quality is just as good the 50th or 100th time you play it."

Until now, the 2-year-old Rave Yorktown 15 at Texas 6 and West Little York had the largest number of digital screens in the Houston area.

The shift to upscale theaters and digital conversion is a national trend. Robert Redford recently opened a theater in San Francisco with a similar concept. Two Arclight theaters in Los Angeles feature all-reserved seating, full-service restaurants and allow adults to drink alcoholic beverages during movies on weekends.

The Silverado is the Santikos chain's eighth theater, though Cieplechowicz said they are scouting a location for a second similarly themed Houston theater and hope to expand to other cities. But the country's biggest chains are moving in the same direction, building or renovating upscale cinemas in cities across the country.

The trend is fueled by stagnant movie-attendance figures nationally. Except for a few notable exceptions, such as 2005 when grosses dropped 5.19 percent, box-office grosses still tend to rise every year, but a private research firm says that is because of higher ticket prices. Attendance today is less than it was 10 years ago, according to Media by Numbers.

The firm estimates that attendance peaked in 2002 with approximately 1.6 billion tickets sold. Last year, the company, using a $6.82 average ticket price, estimates that the number of tickets sold — 1,419,354,936 — declined slightly from 2006, while revenues rose 4 percent.

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: New Theatre 08 Mar 2008 12:21 #17779

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
I had the opportunity to check out Richards new theatre. It is absolutely beautiful and very innovative. It includes a full service restaurant, 2 bars, a gelato stand, as well as a full concession stand. All of the theatres are digital with a handfull both digital and 35mm. Everything from the poster cases to the signs above the auditorium doors are innovative. Digital posters line the hallways and LCD screens are above each auditorium. They also have a big IMAX screen with one if the best pictures on screen I have seen in a long time. This theatre is one of the nicest places I have seen it really is a great gift to the Houston community, the impression is that no expense was spared to bring the absolute best that the industry has to offer to them. It seems where other chains have been cutting corners that Santikos is building grander more complex and stunning theatres. Hats off to them, they really have a location to be very very proud of!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction