Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Advance Screener flims
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advance Screener flims

Advance Screener flims 23 Feb 2008 11:01 #17690

I am doing research for promotional events, parties at local theaters in the area (Washington DC and Maryland) and I was wondering...

What is the cost to the theater owner when showing Advanced screenings of films? I go to a large number of free screenings for my website and I never bothered to ask.

I have been reading the forums and I do understand that owners lease the films based on 1st runs and the age of the film (it seems to be fuzzy math) but what is the cost for showing this screener 1 month or so in advance of the actual release date?

Also, it seems like only a select few theaters get to show screenings. Are the theaters picked or do they bid for the ability to screen?

Thanks for any answers

WWW.THEMIDDLEROW.COM
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Advance Screener flims 23 Feb 2008 16:07 #17691

• filmgene
  • Fresh Boarder
"advanced screener" are not open to the public and they are shown without admission charge because the studios rent the theaters and pay a rental rate TO the theaters to have the space to themselves. The public is not admitted.

Re: Advance Screener flims 24 Feb 2008 00:40 #17692

So under normal circumstances the studios approach the theater owners and request rental space to show their film?

Is there any way for an owner of a theater to request screenings to be played at his theater?

As a member of the general public I have had the privilege of attending numerous advanced screenings. The most recent being "Semi-pro" which played in a major theater for one day only (today)

WWW.THEMIDDLEROW.COM

[This message has been edited by Themiddlerow (edited February 24, 2008).]

Re: Advance Screener flims 24 Feb 2008 02:26 #17693

• filmgene
  • Fresh Boarder
<<So under normal circumstances the studios approach the theater owners and request rental space to show their film?

Is there any way for an owner of a theater to request screenings to be played at his theater?

As a member of the general public I have had the privilege of attending numerous advanced screenings.>>

That is correct. The only possible exceptions I can think of are "sneak previews" in which the title of the film is not announced beforehand.

As "a member of the general public" attending a public showing is certainly not a "privilege". My experience is based on large markets. Maybe some studios do this in very small markets, but if so it is the first time I have heard of it.

Re: Advance Screener flims 24 Feb 2008 13:25 #17694

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I see "Semi Pro" actually did do advance screenings that actually were sort of open to public. There were a few places (i.e. rottentomatoes.com and reeltime.com) that you could get tickets by answering some trivia questions. This sure isn't a normal screening, many that I have attended as an owner were so secure you needed the letter from the film company and sign your firts child away (joke) to get in.

I am wondering if in general you are talking about sneak peeks versus industry screenings??

Re: Advance Screener flims 24 Feb 2008 15:43 #17695

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
sneak peeks are an actual booking deal that film distribs do to get buzz going. They know where they want to do this and that's who they call. "Advance" screenings can be done for the same reason but often they "test" for endings, etc, as they tweak the final print. Arts films and better films are screened in advance to reviwers to get buzz going. It is often a sign of the confidence in a pic which you can judge by the amount of time in advance and the width of the reviewer pool.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction