Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: selling old junk

selling old junk 09 Feb 2008 12:26 #17615

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I had old speakers, rectifiers, motiograph projectors, etc. Junk. Not usable. I sent photos and list to the 3 ads in back of boxoffice magazine and now have three offers over 1000.00 and they send truck to pick up. What do they know that I do not know? Am I giving the stuff away? Have you ever sold off stuff like this. Take a look at vacuum tubes on eBay!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: selling old junk 09 Feb 2008 12:44 #17616

• rdetzler
  • Expert Boarder
Very likely most of it is junk, but there is probably something in there of overlooked value. As an owner of several hundred vacuum tubes I can tell you that there is a real cult following for that stuff.

Re: selling old junk 10 Feb 2008 01:01 #17617

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
"Junk" = antique = $$$.

Motiograph projectors in good shape (not even working) consistently go way over $1,000 on eBay. I recently purchased a mint condition Simplex E-7 projector (working) to be used in my theater's lobby as decor, and it was just under $2,300. I still have yet to get the theater, but at least the projector is here waiting for a new home!

A seller by the name of "tomthewom" makes an unbelievably good living selling "Junk" he gets from closed theaters every single day. I've purchased many antique 35mm reels from him over the years. He has some really amazing stuff up for sale right now, including some great old photos of an old Roxy theater (don't know which one) getting a remodel and some old Cinerama stuff. Here you go:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtomthewom

Collectors exist for anything antique. Don't throw ANYTHING away!
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: selling old junk 10 Feb 2008 23:55 #17618

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Cinemateer

One of us is going to end up crying in our beer.

About 5 or 6 years ago I bought 25 Simplex E-7 heads, all in working condition, some completely rebuilt, for a total of $350.00. I wanted backups and/or extra parts for mine, and was forced to buy them all at an auction. I've been selling them off at $100.00 each ever since. I think there are 3 left, but those I want to keep. I have 2 Simplex Super heads that I would sell. Simplex XLs bring $2,000 to $3,000, but I have never heard of E-7s or Supers bringing over $500, and that's if they are rebuilt.

Re: selling old junk 11 Feb 2008 10:25 #17619

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Roxy- Consider my beer a little more salty.

I would say you got a great deal on your E-7 heads, and congrats on finding them and selling them at $100 ea. The $2,300 I paid for my E-7 did include crating and shipping from OH to WA, however, which was around $500. Also, since the projector was going to be used as a lobby display, it had to look pristine, not just good. No chips, cracks, blemishes, rust, etc., and it had to have the pearlesque knobs instead of the plain black ones. I finally found this one that with some elbow grease, looks virtually brand new. I may have paid a little more than one would expect, but I'm very happy with being able to find one in such great condition and get it from someone willing to go through the trouble of crating and shipping it.

The Roxy in the old photos in the link above isn't your Roxy by any chance, is it?
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: selling old junk 11 Feb 2008 12:25 #17620

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That does seem high for an E7...but anything that's been restored to that level is going to bring a higher price.

I once worked in an indoor theatre... one of those huge places with its booth, high in the back & right up against the ceiling. The keystone correction in that place was about as extreme as I ever saw. The booth used E7 projectors, and the picture was absolutely rock-solid. About the only thing I didn't like about them was they were a little cramped for my big fingers.

Re: selling old junk 11 Feb 2008 16:08 #17621

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Where were the Roxy pictures at? I didn't see them.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction